LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 39 Ford flathead charging system

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 39 Ford flathead charging system

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

JohnJAS
10-24-2017 @ 6:43 AM

39 Ford Deluxe 91A-70B
All Original

Hello Gary M, an easy way to note date of battery install or actually date/month of manufacture of battery is there’s usually sticker with month/year (last 2 digits of year) on the battery. I try to look for most recent date on battery when I buy. Most of the time your date of retail store purchase won’t be too far after mfg date. Date of mfg and factory where battery mfg is actually stamped into battery case cause batteries can be a hazmat issue. Date code sticker can be numerical only or alpha/numerical. Alpha being the month. A=1st month (January), M=12th (December). There no letter ‘I’ so not to be confused w number ‘1’. To simplify things, I always try to relocate that sticker, if I need to (and if it’s removable), to a location on battery that provides an easier ‘line of sight'. When the battery is new, side wall surfaces usually are clean(er).

Gary M.
10-23-2017 @ 6:41 PM

Yes, I kind of figured that it wasn't a good thing to pull the cables while the car is running. Now that I replaced the battery , the car is running great. I guess I will just keep a record of when I installed the battery and just replace it after 5 years instead of waiting till till it goes completely bad. It was a bit embarrassing having to get a jump from the station owner after just getting the car inspected.

JohnJAS
10-23-2017 @ 1:25 PM

39 Ford Deluxe 91A-70B
All Original

TomO you make a correct point. The battery smooths out any spikes and keeps voltage fairly constant. W/o battery, voltage regulator would have a harder time holding voltage at correct point. The car can still run w/o battery, but it can ‘stress’ the voltage regulator.

The original question centered around whether the car would run w/o battery as an evaluatory function to access if generator is charging. More than likely, yes, however, TomO, as a senior member of EFV-8, I believe you’re making it clear it is not a recommended evaluation of the charging system. I see your point, I agree.

TomO
10-23-2017 @ 9:34 AM
Senior

I recommend that you do NOT remove battery cables from a running car. You can damage the regulator and/or the generator. When you remove the battery from the charging circuit, the generator will be free to run unregulated and that can cause internal damage to the generator.

Tom

JohnJAS
10-23-2017 @ 9:24 AM

39 Ford Deluxe 91A-70B
All Original

Hello Gary M, just an FYI, if you take off both cables, car should stay running. Now, I’m not the expert, but always remembered that alternators (alt) and generators (gen) act as a power supply. Gens have permanent magnets and commutators, alts use electromagnets to create the field. Alts charge (alt)ernating current (AC) which is converted in the alt to Direct Current (DC) as that is what vehicle electrical system uses. Alts provide much more wattage/amps than gens for ‘the work done’. And 1963(ish) seems to bout the time auto industry switched to alts. Even then demand on elec systems required improved systems. Older carburetor based engines (you were talking bout the '70's cars) could run relatively easy w/o battery, however, the more current vehicles with PCM controlled fuel injection require constant 12v. If any compromise in charge system with or w/o battery, car won’t continue to run.
I believe the other thing important to mention is all cars need a ground, and that ground is the vehicle chassis, not the ground of the battery (and in our case w/these 6v Fords, the + side). The important thing to remember, if indeed you ever do remove a current supply side cable on your Ford (- side, the 'HOT' side) is Not To TOUCH It To Anything when the engine is running (generator turning) because you find out immediately the ‘ground function’ the chassis plays.
Finally, if you’ve gotten 7 yrs out of a battery, then, ‘Bless you’. Don’t think I ever kept a battery that long (max for me, any battery, 5 yrs). If your driving is only periodic (and maybe I’m telling you something you already know) buy 6v automatic charger (not a ‘trickle’ charger). They’re certainly avail usually simply a 6v setting on a 6v/12v 6/12 amp type auto charger (I still like analogue needle and scale) which will charge and then provide 2amp trickle charge and reboot to a higher amp if it senses drop in voltage and then return to trickle. Some more sophisticated types provide a 'boost' cycle to prevent scale build up on the plates, but the 'auto' type just described can certainly function for your purpose w/o spending 'an arm and a leg' .
Batteries do like a ‘state of charge’ or a ‘steady state’. They don’t like to remain ‘uncharged’ for extended periods of time. For 12v usually 12.5 and 6v I’ve always seen 6.25. When uncharged for extended time, voltage starts to drop below these levels and that can surely shorten battery life and you can wind up stuck somewhere unexpected. Obviously, if you keep it charged and check the electrolyte periodically (I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ‘maintenance free’ 6v), you’ll extend its life.

Gary M.
10-22-2017 @ 7:22 PM

Sorry about that, I meant to say 6v pos gnd.
I put in a new battery and its running great. Ill put a volt meter on it sometime this week. Thanks for the help guys....

40 Coupe
10-22-2017 @ 3:51 AM
Senior

Charge the battery then take it to your local auto parts store they will check it for output.

cliftford
10-21-2017 @ 5:50 PM
Senior

With the engine running at a fast idle, put a volt meter across the battery. You should see around 6.8 to seven volts which would mean the gen. is charging. Yes, it should keep running at a fast idle when you pull a cable.

4dFordSC
10-21-2017 @ 3:56 PM

Unless your car has been converted at some point, or is hooked up wrong, it should be 6v positive ground.

Gary M.
10-21-2017 @ 3:32 PM

Hi guys, I haven't had my 39 Tudor Standard out since last year(busy home life). Well I took it out today for inspection and the battery was dead. I just charged it last week but its about 7 years old. I jumped it and it made it to the station for inspection. It would not start when I was leaving so the station owner gave me a jump. The car still has its original 6v neg. ground system except that I replaced the cutout with a voltage regulator that looks just like a cutout. I assume that the battery is the problem here but I want to make sure that the charging system is working properly .Back in the 70s we would start the car and pull off the negative terminal, if the car charging system was ok the car would keep running. Does that work on the old Fords or is there a better way to make sure its charging?
Thanks....

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org