LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Argentina "Knock Down" Kit Info

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Argentina "Knock Down" Kit Info -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Bombsaway
04-13-2017 @ 10:45 PM

I cannot find anything about Argentina Fords in the forum. Do you have a member that is knowledgeable in this area? I just purchased a 1938 Ford Club Cabriolet Right Hand Drive model manufactured in Argentina and I want to learn more about this company. I have heard of "knockdown" kits being sent to Argentina for assembly back in the 20s but any actual verified information would be great. Thank you, Drew

ford38v8
04-14-2017 @ 12:20 AM
Senior

Drew, first of all, I'd like to compliment you on your excellent taste in cars! That's a beauty!
As I recall, this subject was mentioned briefly in the V8 Club's "1938-39 Ford Book", available from this website and others. It contains a wealth of information on your car, which was manufactured, as you were told, in kit form, for export from the Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan, USA. Some incorrectly believe that all right hand drive Fords were manufactured in Canada, but that was true only for the Colonies.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 4-14-17 @ 12:21 AM

Bombsaway
04-14-2017 @ 8:44 AM

Thank you Alan! Sounds like getting ahold of that book should be first thing on my list! I really appreciate the quick reply and lead.

3w2
04-14-2017 @ 7:10 PM
Senior

Let's be a little more specific about pre-WWII RHD sourcing, shall we. Yes, some of the Canadian-manufactured RHD KD and SKD kits and whole vehicle exports were destined to British colonies, but the proper term is British Commonwealth countries as not all were colonies. In the case of Australia, it was only the powertrain and chassis components as the bodies were made locally. Ford U.S. supplied RHD KD, SKD, and whole vehicle exports to Argentina, Japan, Paraguay, and Uruguay. The RHD vehicles sold in Sweden were a mixture of Canadian, U.S., and U.K. sourcing.

In the case of open cars such as yours where Ford did not manufacture the bodies themselves, those exports were in the form of SKD (slightly knocked down) kits wherein the bodies were completely finished, including upholstery and top.

I was fortunate to be on assignment with Ford in South America twice in my career and brought back a fair number of U.S.-manufactured RHD open cars from both Argentina and Uruguay.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 4-15-17 @ 5:25 AM

johnh6813
04-16-2017 @ 10:15 AM

I am currently restoring a 38 club convertible that was imported from Argentina ,but was made in the US. and exported to Argentina then brought back..It was the roughest toughest car I have ever had to restore .We discarded the complete undercarriage used 39 everthing .The body had been smashed and beat ,was so eat out that a lot of work was required Had to use 2 door, doors and marry the convertible door top part to the 2 door ,door .Am just about ready to start prepping for paint.Have a list of some others that have or are also restoring the club.I know about every part of the car ,so maybe can help. John. jtwo@sympatico.ca

fordv8j
04-17-2017 @ 8:55 AM

We have a 38 conv. coupe that was really rough, had to make my doors like you did, took 7 years and nearly 4000 hours.its now a 1st car, painter it desert sand

Bombsaway
04-18-2017 @ 2:06 PM

Thank you all for your information.

3w2 - I have to admit I am slightly confused by your statement "In the case of open cars such as yours where Ford did not manufacture the bodies themselves, those exports were in the form of SKD (slightly knocked down) kits wherein the bodies were completely finished, including upholstery and top."

I am sorry but I am not following. So Ford made my body / upholstery / top in the US and then exported it down to Argentina for completion (SKD), or are you saying the body parts were likely produced in Argentina and assembled with parts that Ford had shipped down to Argentina in "Knock Down" kits? Or a combination of both?

Thank you I am just trying to get a better understanding. I did purchase the book mentioned in an earlier post but I have not received it yet.

3w2
04-18-2017 @ 6:22 PM
Senior

Sorry for the confusion. That Ford did not make the open car bodies does not mean that they were made outside the U.S., but rather by one of Ford's U.S. suppliers such as Murray or Briggs. (Alan will know which in the case of a '38 club cabriolet.) That body builder supplied all of Ford U.S.'s requirements for that body type, be they destined for export or for domestic sale. SKD kits required only minimal local assembly as they included finished bodies.

There is a fundamental difference between manufacturing and assembly and local operations such as that in Argentina at that time were strictly assembly operations and did not manufacture anything (i.e. create components from raw materials such as casting, forging, machining, and stamping sheet metal).

This message was edited by 3w2 on 4-18-17 @ 7:53 PM

ford38v8
04-19-2017 @ 12:11 AM
Senior

Reports of very poor working conditions, as well as a crippling labor strike at Briggs prompted Henry and Edsel to pull back from outside suppliers Briggs and Murray, therefore the 1938 model year is not all that certain as to where the open bodies were manufactured. Chances are that some body stampings were made at Briggs, but then assembled at either Ford or Lincoln. I have no information on whether Murray made any '38's or not. Budd had no contracts for open bodies. You'll be able to read this in the "1938-'39 Ford Book, which should be in your hands soon.

Alan

3w2
04-19-2017 @ 7:08 PM
Senior

Alan,

Per pages 2-11 and 4-41 of the referenced book seem pretty clear that the open car bodies were still outsourced and not brought in house (at the Warren Avenue Lincoln plant) until the 1939 model year.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org