LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / New Guy..looking for motor info

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: New Guy..looking for motor info -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

mr37
03-13-2017 @ 3:50 PM

New guy on the forum. Have been e-mailing with Bruce Nelson regarding build dates. He explained the "bugs" on the original glass and he also noted that there was a book that lists motor numbers by month and year. He suggested I go on this forum to see if anyone has this book and could look up this info.
I was an ole Corvette guy and always liked tracing the history of my cars. Got tired of Corvettes and bought a '37 Ford business coupe. Of course its been upgraded somewhat!!!!!!Any help appreciated

39 Ken
03-14-2017 @ 6:30 AM

Without knowing your specific engine/frame number I can only give you the following:
Job-one for the 1937 production was in the 3rd week of 1936 and the intro to the public was November 6, 1936.
The numbers ran from 18-3,331,857 to 18-4,186,446.
If you can provide your number (i.e.. 18-3,904,xxx) we can ball park the month that your car was produced. Don't use your last three numbers, just use xxx so as not to give any one the idea of using your number on a faux '37.

CharlieStephens
03-14-2017 @ 9:42 AM
Senior

This is probably the book he was talking about, you should have a copy. It will answer questions you didn't even know you had. Absolutely a must. https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=59&pid=2

"The Early Ford V8 As Henry Built It" also has the information but I would go with the club's book.

If you post your serial number from the frame of the car someone will probably look up the information and post the answer (you should be able to see it looking under the hood on top of the left frame rail, probably near the steering). Use XXX for the last three digits of the serial if you are concerned about showing your serial number. Note that the motors were not numbered, the number appears on the transmission case but the transmission is frequently changed so use the number from the frame.

Remember that the engines were all built at the Rouge plant and shipped to the various assembly location. The Model A Ford judging standards says to allow up to 3 months for installation of the motor into the car. I have never heard this number (may have missed it) for the V8 cars but up to 3 months sounds good.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 3-14-17 @ 9:43 AM

mr37
03-14-2017 @ 1:26 PM

Thanks to all from the new guy!
Anyway, on the drivers forward frame rail is my number.
I'm no using the * that is shown.
But it is 54-2I83xx

I think I'll look into the book that is recommended from the club.
Whom do I order that from?

nelsb01
03-14-2017 @ 1:50 PM
Senior

Ah.........your 1937 started life as a Standard 60 hp vehicle.
That could explain the 'up-grades' that you mention.

If it was an 85 hp V-8 engine in the vehicle the number would have started with 18-
The Thrifty Sixty numbers started with 54-

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 3-14-17 @ 8:26 PM

CharlieStephens
03-14-2017 @ 2:53 PM
Senior

The book is ordered from the "online Store" at the site you are on: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=59&pid=2

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 3-14-17 @ 3:59 PM

37 Coupe
03-15-2017 @ 10:27 AM

My '37 coupe is serial # 542584** and the original glass is dated 4-37. I have always believed it was final assembled in May of '37. I don't remember where I got that information from the '37 restoration book or wherever. Mine had the cast iron side or full cast iron 60 hp engine and according to the V8 Club '37 book the cast iron block/non tin sided were began to be assembled 3/11/37 but not 100% of production until 4/23/37.Of course this will not help if you have no 60 hp engine to look at. I like my Fords original but just like a lyric from an old fifties song,The All American boy I told my coupe "You can stay boy but that's gotta go."

TonyM
03-15-2017 @ 12:40 PM

Regarding the numbers from the De Angelis book: Notice the error going from December 1936 to January 1937. The first number for December 1936 is 3445809 and the last number for December 1936 is 3216674. That is going backwards. The first number for Jan 1937 cannot be 3216675 because that is really a 1936 Ford number (August 1936). My 1937 Ford is numbered 3518143, making it a December 1936 engine/trans combination. If I am remembering right, the correct January 1937 numbers appear in the club's 1937 FORD Book.

Ford did not produce a "Business Coupe" in 1937. There were three types of coupes in the V-8 line: Coupe; De Luxe Coupe; Club Coupe.
No Business Coupe offered that year.

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/fileattachments/Ford%20Engine%20Numbers.jpg

Attached FileFord Engine Numbers.jpg (347 Kbytes)

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 3-15-17 @ 1:03 PM

mr37
03-15-2017 @ 1:34 PM

Tony,
If there were no business coupe in '37, the owner whom I bought it from led me a little bit astray. He called it a business coupe so I've been calling it a business coupe.
So, since I had the 60HP engine, how can I tell which of the coupe names I should call it??

TonyM
03-15-2017 @ 2:03 PM

According to the Early Ford V-8 Club of America's excellent reference work THE 1937 FORD BOOK there were three types of coupes for that year.

Ford De Luxe Coupe came with a chrome plated grille, two windshield wipers, two tail lights, two horns, stainless steel windshield frame, De Luxe steering wheel, stainless running board trim, de luxe interior trim and handles, 999 mile trip odometer.

Ford Coupe (sometimes known as a "Standard") The Regular Ford Coupe had painted grille and body color windshield frame, one tail light, one horn, one windshield wiper, NO running board trim, regular steering wheel, chrome interior trim. The vast majority 60hp cars were Standards as opposed to De Luxe (but not always).

The Club Coupe is a Coupe with a small back seat and is a completely different body than a regular Ford Coupe. Club Coupes were available in De Luxe trim only. Not sure if there are any V-8 60 Club Coupes. My guess is no.

Good luck with the car.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 3-15-17 @ 2:12 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org