LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Scrub Radius 1932 - 1948

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Scrub Radius 1932 - 1948

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

len47merc
03-13-2017 @ 3:55 PM
Senior

Tronix - I do appreciate stubbornness so please keep it up.

At the risk of being ridiculed personally, I called my old-schooler mentioned earlier and asked again about measuring the scrub radius. The response was he no longer had the equipment nor the need to continue the process. I then called 3 other shops that I know can bridge-the-gap between modern alignment equipment/techniques and vintage cars. Again, a no go with any of them on scrub radius. I have colleagues who race Porsches at Virginia International Raceway and their equipment designed to accommodate and align custom racing wheel offsets does not produce the number.

I suspect the silence you are hearing is that many of us have no idea how to ACCURATELY determine scrub radius on any of the cars we have access to. I could measure (with time and distance) a stock '35, '36, '40 and '47 - all relatively local colleagues' or personal cars - but in the absence of CAD level software, using a scribe, (elastic) string, plumb bob, tape measure, protractor, compass and other common measurement tools on 'stock' axles, wheels, tires (hmmm...what pressure/psi per tire/car???) and quality/new front end components one has to question how accurate a figure could possibly be achieved. And who knows if the front axles were ever bent? I had mine aligned after rebuild and had the driver's side of the axle tweaked to get camber perfect.

I researched this on the internet for a while today and could find no credible, reputable, accurate methods for determining this, only theoretical using CAD.

If you have a process that is fail safe and you are confident that will produce an accurate figure that you will accept and trust please let us know. I am sure there are many of us eager to learn something here that will be glad to help you. Perhaps I am out in left field and if so someone please send me the gospel so I can learn more about this - I've just not found it thus far.

Thanks in advance -

Steve

Tronix
03-13-2017 @ 12:59 AM

With a drunken man's stubbornness, I continue with my questions about scrub radius.

In the years 1932 -1948 was the front axle, camber, caster and KPI virtually equal. The exception is the first three years. Ford changed the size of rims and tires as follows:

1930 - 31 19 x 3 -- 4.75 x 19 Model A
1932 18 x 3 ¼ -- 5.25 x 18
1933 - 34 17 x 3 ¼ -- 5.50 x 17
1935 16 x 4 -- 6.00 x 16 Last spoke wheels
1936 - 39 16 x 4 -- 6.00 x 16 Wide five
1940 - 48 16 x 4 -- 6.00 x 16

These changes should also reasonably have affected the scrub radius during these years? Or was scrub radius unchanged during these years?

If you own a EFV8 from those years, or have access to one, it would be very useful if you could measure the scrub radius. Please!

Carl

len47merc
03-12-2017 @ 2:33 PM
Senior

Thanks Tronix & Stoker - I am familiar with what scrub radius is and its impact on handling/drive-ability of a vehicle. What I am struggling with is why this parameter is important beyond the impact of changing to larger or smaller wheels/tires and/or varying offset - on a fixed axle - ? As you recalled Stroker one could bend the steering arm on the spindle (finding someone who knows how to do that could be a challenge) but I am curious why anyone would need to go to such extremes if staying with stock wheels, wheel offset and o/a tire height. Perhaps Tronix is desiring such a change and intends on optimizing the scrub radius for his new configuration - ?

After rebuilding the front end on the '47 and taking it to a seasoned old-schooler who still had all the equipment, tools and processes to align it, I asked him about how 'far out' my garage toe-in set-up was and how bad, if at all, the axle was bent/camber out. After a very supportive session of feedback from him I asked him what the scrub radius measured out at (given I'd changed the tire size to 710s) to which he smiled and gave me the 'way too much book sense and not enough common sense' look so I let it go to save face and, until now, had never heard anyone bring this up on our EFV8s.

After all the discussions I've read here on changing to different size wheels and tires from stock it just struck me as odd this is the first I've ever seen anyone bring up this issue, particularly given the speeds and the assumed low o/a number of miles most of our EFV8s are driven.

Tronix gets the prize!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-12-17 @ 3:05 PM

Stroker
03-12-2017 @ 1:12 PM
Senior

Folks.. I don't "read Swedish", but if you want a real TREAT, check-out Tronix's website. Lots of FASCINATING photo's from Flathead-powered Japanese submarines, to Ford Aircraft engines... http://www.earlyfordv8.se/

Tronix
03-12-2017 @ 1:08 PM

Thank you Steve for your answer!

Scrub radius affects the car's handling at all speeds and also its behavior during braking and punctures.

My assumption was that Ford gradually changed scrub radius to handle higher speeds and also steering of heavier cars at low speed, such as parking.

With the KPI (8 degrees kingpin inclination), which is the case in 1932 -1948 is the only possibility to change the scrub radius to change the tire diameter and rim backspace (offset).

I prepare for a possible discussion with some traffic and car control authorities.

Carl

Stroker
03-12-2017 @ 12:32 PM
Senior

One can "change" the scrub radius by changing the offset of the rim center-line OR the diameter of the outside diameter of the tire. One could conceivably also make a NEW spindle and "tweak" the axle to bring the kingpin inclination angle and the resulting point of tire/pavement contact patch closer or farther from the axis of the kingpin.

Obviously, Ford engineered different scrub radius specifications depending upon the overall front tire diameter which Changed radically in the "early" years with the adoption of smaller rim diameters.

Since a positive scrub radius has a tendency to seek a straight ahead position, less positive caster is needed to maintain directional stability.

About the only negative "effect" experienced by having an excessive positive scrub radius is "bump-steer".

Many years ago, the 1940 edition of "Ford V8 Cars And Trucks" by Victor W. Page contained a comprehensive discussion of this subject. Included was also a discussion on how to change the Ackerman-steering angle by bending the steering arm on the spindle to accommodate different wheelbases on commercial Fords.

len47merc
03-12-2017 @ 8:23 AM
Senior

First I recall ever seeing this addressed on our Forum. When selecting performance rims for his racing car my son was all over this as it relates to rim offset, this given the adjust-ability of this parameter with his car's front end. Never read or heard it questioned regarding our EFV8s, so as usual something new to learn here.

Dovetailing your question Tronix - how is this adjustable, if at all, with our solid front axles (excepting for running non-stock/original rims with varying offsets &/or wheel/tire heights)? And what are your thoughts on the need for this specification beyond non-stock wheel/tire considerations?

This morning I hunted through my modest resource library and on-line and could find no scrub-radius specification for '32s - '48s, only general, non-specific references to and explanations of 'spindle pin sideways inclination' and Max/Min range specs in degrees for 'Camber Plus Side Inclination'.

Steve

Tronix
03-12-2017 @ 12:22 AM

I would be very happy if someone could give me the dimensions of the scrub radius of the models with rigid front axle from 1932 to 1948 with the original tires and rims. Or if you could recommend a book where I can find these dimensions?
I know that the Model A 1931 scrub radius was 1/2 inch. I think the scrub radius of the Model 40 in 1933 was 1 inch. But what is the measure 1935 with 16 x 4 wheels and 6:00 x 16 bias tire?
// Carl

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org