LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Positive ground logic?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Positive ground logic? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Jeepbut
01-28-2017 @ 7:19 PM

What is the theory or purpose of positive ground? what is different in the system to make it positive ground?

Old Henry
01-28-2017 @ 9:40 PM
Senior

Don't know why early cars were positive ground but most electrical components in the car don't care, they'll work fine either way. The only three that I can think of that matter is the vibrator in a stock radio that will only work with positive ground, the battery gauge reads backwards if switched to negative ground, and the generator has to be re-polarized if switched to negative ground.

When I first got my car back on the road after sitting 31 years I knew nothing about positive ground. So, when I installed a new battery, I hooked it up negative ground like my modern cars were. Everything worked fine except the battery gauge read backwards. It wasn't until I got the engine rebuilt after 10,000 miles that the rebuilder said, "You know you have your battery installed backwards? Bet your battery gauge reads backwards." After the rebuild all I had to do was re-polarize the generator to positive ground and everything worked fine.

wmsteed
01-29-2017 @ 11:19 AM
Senior

The early electrical systems were generally positive ground. As I recall Thomas Edison advocated for DC whereas George Westinghouse advocated for AC power. There was a third player in the early power game, Tesla who was an advocate of DC power.
Generally the big difference between the two systems is that DC has good power over a short distance, however, it needs constant boosting via coils/transformers. DC power requires larger wire for transmission, whereas AC power can be transmitted over greater distances with smaller wire and less boosting.
Surprisingly the phone systems are all DC power which is hot all of the time. The phone is turned off/on by breaking the ground, (positive). Many of the circuits that are employed in automotive uses are controlled by breaking the ground. interior lights are the most common, the switch actually controls the ground.
Electricity is some very strange stuff, almost like smoke and mirrors. When I was in the US Army I was in Fire Control, ie; the systems that controlled the direction/elevation of anti aircraft weapons up to huge 155/120mm canons. These huge weapons were operated by 28v DC over hydraulic motor systems.
I guess the difference in positive, negative ground could be summed up that when negative is used as a ground, breaking that connection permanently disconnects that circuit, whereas alternating current using positive as the ground is not totally disconnected..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

len47merc
01-29-2017 @ 12:37 PM
Senior

Jeepbut - your question has been asked many times on this Forum. I recalled an earlier, compelling response on this posted by TomO that gave me the best insight for further reading that may help you. All credit to Tom - I cut and paste his words here:

"Ford, Chrysler, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Nash, Hudson, Frazer, and Studebaker were all positive ground at some time in the 30s. Cadillac changed to NEG ground in 1946, but the Ford, Chrysler, Nash, Studebaker and Packard all stayed with the POS ground system. Nearly all of the cars in the late 20's and 30's were POS ground, so Ford was not in the minority.

Most 6 volt cars were POS ground until they changed over to 12 volts. Packard stayed at POS ground even after the change.

I have heard that it had to do with how current flowed in the system. Some engineers believed that because current flowed from POS to NEG, that POS ground was more effective. Others thought because electron flow is from NEG to POS, that NEG ground was more effective. In practice, it makes little difference which side id grounded.

Tom"

Do a search for 'positive ground' for 'All' history on all Forums and you'll find much more on this including the Edison/Ford relationship that may have also contributed to the positive ground design.

Steve

51f1
01-29-2017 @ 2:23 PM
Senior

This is what I recall about positive grounds:

In the old days, some cars had positive grounds to help minimize corrosion. Automotive wiring was insulated with cloth and, usually, with some type of paint like varnish added for extra protection. Of course, the cloth based insulation absorbed moisture which allowed the electricity to “leak” through the insulation to ground. Electrical leakage promoted the formation of corrosion on the metal car body and frame. Some people thought that, when the ground was positive, the corrosion was reduced, so they used positive grounds. Of course, people working on cars during the early days were not well educated and did not have the research to back them up, and, in my opinion, they were probably wrong. Later, in automotive history, and, with the advent of the transistor, the electronics industry standardized on the negative ground. When electronics proliferated, the ground was switched to negative to match the electronics industry standard. At the same time, the insulation on the wiring was improved.

Richard

TomO
01-30-2017 @ 7:40 AM
Senior

POS grounding also had to do with metal transfer on the electrodes of the spark plugs and the points. Read the Ford Shop Theory Manual for a good explanation of the thoughts back in the day.

I had never heard the leaky wire corrosion theory before. It sound like it may have come from England where the wires in a Lucas system leak smoke.

Tom

MG
01-30-2017 @ 10:40 AM
Senior

wmsteed said: "Tesla who was an advocate of DC power." - Tesla was certainly NOT an advocate of DC power. Tesla teamed up with Westinghouse to promote AC. Tesla is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.

"The War of Currents (sometimes called, War of the Currents or Battle of Currents) was a series of events surrounding the introduction of competing electric power transmission systems in the late 1880s and early 1890s including commercial competition, a debate over electrical safety, and a media/propaganda campaign that grew out of it, with the main players being the direct current (DC) based Edison Electric Light Company and the alternating current (AC) based Westinghouse Electric Company."

Jeepbut
01-31-2017 @ 7:08 PM

This has been interesting. Thanks to all.

engine
02-04-2017 @ 9:16 AM

I have a 1968 Triumph motorcycle and it has a positive ground system as well. It is a English bike

51f1
02-08-2017 @ 5:25 PM
Senior

(Thomas) Edison was an advocate for DC power. (Nikola) Tesla was an advocate for AC power. If Edison had prevailed, we'd have a DC power plant on every corner as DC cannot be practically transmitted over long distances. Tesla should get more credit.

Long distance transmission requires high voltages to overcome resistance losses. There is no practical way to increase DC to the voltages that would make long distance DC transmission economical and then lower it to a more useful (and safe) working voltage. Transformers only work with AC; therefore, AC can be easily transformed up for transmission and down for the user. Edison gets way too much credit in my opinion. Edison was a tinkerer, not a scientist. Tesla was an engineer. They did name a car after him. What did they name after Edison?

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 2-8-17 @ 5:27 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org