LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Henrys Fords

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Henrys Fords -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

40topless
01-25-2017 @ 6:00 AM

Question out there. With the new generation of car people wanting 60, and 70 era of cars whats going to happen to the value of the Fords down the road. Just a curious.

kubes40
01-25-2017 @ 6:55 AM
Senior

It is of my opinion that the older the car, the more rapid decline in value will follow. Typically we all want(ed) the car that we either had as a young man or wanted as a young man. That scenario has not changed with today's youth.
There will be aberrations to that "theory" of course.
Some vehicles, '32 and '40 Fords as well as '55 - '57 Chevys come to mind. Those particular vehicles have gathered a somewhat cult status with folks spanning many generations desiring one. That will prop the values for those cars up longer than years closely surrounding them.
One other huge thing that comes in to play is the basic law of economics - supply and demand. A rare vehicle will hold value longer than a common vehicle. Think for example of a '33 Ford three window coupe vs. a fordor sedan.
Also, a true #1 restored vehicle will hold its value longer than the much more common #3 vehicle.
There will always be those that insist on owning the very best and as the "very best" are few and far between, they will as a matter of economic law hold their value better.
As a side note of sorts, the latest generation does not desire cars from the 1960's and 1970's so much as their older "brothers". The latest generation of age is gravitating towards fairly modern cars (think Honda, BMW, etc.) than the "muscle cars we coveted.

In my humble opinion, watch sold prices on any vehicle you want to track value upon and compare the recent sales prices with those of five, ten, even fifteen years ago. You'll see a pattern emerge rather quickly.

Stroker
01-25-2017 @ 7:39 AM
Senior

I believe Mike has an excellent point regarding the cars that "our generation" coveted are not the cars that the Young, Upwardly Mobile types who wish to "recreate their youth" do today. I do believe there are a couple of exceptions to this "rule" however.

First, there are cars that are unique, in that there is nothing today that resembles them. Wood-bodied Station Wagons seem to appeal to the younger generation because they are so "unlike" anything made in the past 65 years. Likewise with four-door convertibles which Ford hasn't produced since 1939, although there were some mid-60's Lincoln's that fit in that category.

Secondly, I believe there remains an "investment" market that uses "Vintage-Special-Interest" cars as a hedge against inflation. Obviously this market is highly sensitive to Interest Rates, and Stock Market values. The "price-paid" is a function however of "rarity", not age.

trjford8
01-25-2017 @ 7:41 AM
Senior

In addition to Kube's advice I do not watch prices that occur in auctions. I've always felt that auction sale prices are not the real world. I watch other listing sites and pay attention to the sold listings. They are much closer to the real world.

kubes40
01-25-2017 @ 9:08 AM
Senior

Trjford, I agree in part to your remarks in regard to auction results. Cars actually SOLD at auction are "real" prices although perhaps arguably inflated due to deep pockets and large egos. Regardless of those reasons, if a cars sells at an auction or elsewhere it does have an impact on value of a similar car.

One MUST be wary of auction posted results of cars not actually sold. They are often inflated artificially and have NO bearing on true value. Everyone should be well aware that shill bidding is alive and well.

woodiewagon46
01-25-2017 @ 11:17 AM
Senior

It's a "generational" thing and it isn't only Ford's. When I first went to Hershey in 1968 there were over 200 Model A Ford's on the show field, last year there were about a dozen. Today you can't give away a Model T and Model A's aren't far behind. I can remember Model A roadsters about 20 years ago that sold for around $25K and now you can get a real nice one for about $20K. V-8 Ford's have held up fairly well, but the price has been flat for many years. When I walk the show field at Hershey, I now see Pacers and '87 Chevys. I'm "old school" to me an antique car is something from the '20s, '30s and '40s. There is an old saying, "the way to make a little money in the old car hobby is to start with a lot".

thunder road
01-26-2017 @ 6:21 AM

The latest generation of age dose not live in the same world as before. As someone who just turned 60, and have been to the Hershey fall meet 39 times, and has twin boys who are 27 years old, I will tell you that when I was 16 years old all my friends knew that I wanted a 1940 ford coupe. One friend said that near his grandmother's house about ten miles away the neighbor had one for sale. I went their and the car was a worn out hot rod from the 60's.He said he wanted$ 1,750 for the car and I only had $1,000. I went back when I was 21, and I asked him how much was the car and he said $1,750. I paid him and over the next 7 years with a lot of help from my friend, did a frame off restoration outside, in the rear yard of my grandmothers house on the lawn. I put down four sheets of 3/4 plywood, which I painted with oil paint, no pressure treated back then, and tar paper stapled to the bottom side. It took a total of 12 years including the time to save up for, and to restore the car back to 100 percent original, before I could drive the car one mile. Today with all the high tech, and high cost of living, people are working two jobs and can't keep up. The pace of life is not a healthy one. Maybe that's why they have to have it today, or forget about it? Lastly I would add a 1965 Mustang fastback to your list of cars that never seem to stop going up, and Hagerty has a good vaule price guide

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 1-26-17 @ 8:14 AM

shogun1940
01-28-2017 @ 11:55 AM

Hopefully when the gear heads of the up coming generations get enough money to buy an old car, they will want something different than today's cars because they all look a like. Only the mustang,camaro and challenger have distinguishing looks.toyotas,fords,chevy, Audi,Lexus honda, Hyundai all look a like.

bigvince
02-12-2017 @ 10:42 AM

Go to any cruise event and look at the grey hair (I'm 62). I have three old cars including a 67 Mustang (bought in 1970),68 Charger (82) and 48 Ford Woodie (07). I bought the woodie simply because I wanted something different and was curious about building a flathead and restoring a woodie.

Three kids and only my 30 year old daughter has shown any interest in cars.

Kids are more than happy to buy a new mobile phone and electronic equipment and push off getting that license until after the 18th birthday.

If the car hobby is to survive, car owners need to do a bit more to get folks enthused rather than simply sit in a lawn chair and listen to same 50's music at a car show.

3w2
02-12-2017 @ 4:12 PM
Senior

With respect, I could have sworn that Lincolns were made by Ford Motor Company since 1923. If that's so, the last four-door convertibles were the Lincolns of the early and mid-sixties. And then there is the 1940 Mercury four-door convertible.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org