LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Maximum Bore Size

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Maximum Bore Size

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

coupeman
04-06-2010 @ 9:08 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE, SINCE THIS IS NOT A FREEWAY FLYER I WILL STICK WITH 6 VOLT AND MY CANNISTER OIL FILTER SYSTEM.

Stroker
04-03-2010 @ 4:11 PM
Senior

Richard:

You are quite right, as the 8BA-style motor first appeared as a truck engine. Except for my comment regarding full-floating bearings, I'll stand by my comments on cylinder bore, electrical systems & oil filters.

51f1
04-03-2010 @ 3:37 PM
Senior

A '48 car engine or a '48 truck engine? They're different.

Richard

Stroker
04-03-2010 @ 3:37 PM
Senior

coupeman:

By the way, do you pronounce your username as "KOOP-man", or "Koo-PAY-man"? Just kidding, I forgot
to address your full-flow filter question. From what I have been able to gather, (mainly from this forum), there are a couple of "full-flow" options. Neither one, IMHO are worth the effort, given
the fact that our "motors" (technically engines), are not being run under the same conditions as
modern motors are. I believe in filters, but these old Ford motors are pretty tolerant of debris.
The whole idea of the "full-floating" rod bearing was to allow for the possibility that one bearing surface might become contaminated enough to prevent rotation, and offered another bearing surface to supplant it in that unlikely case.

Similarly, the crank contains "sludge traps", which probably lost some usefulness when dispersant oils (detergent oils) became commonplace. Unless you are planning to install a 3.54:1 axle, reduce all the internal running clearances and cruise across the Nation on Interstates at a constant and mind numbing 75 mph, I don't believe there is any need for full-flow system. If you do opt to go that route, make sure all 3-mains are supplied with filtered oil.

As TomO stated; frequent oil changes are probably the best alternative. We used to say that "Oil is cheap; Parts are expensive", but given the current price of good oils, that's probably not as
much of a "truism" as it once was. BUT IT'S STILL TRUE!

Stroker
04-03-2010 @ 2:22 PM
Senior

coupeman:

I think TomO's answer is spot-on in my opinion. I think we tend to think of 12-volts as some
better solution to a historical problem. IMHO, the "problem" was the price of copper during the Korean War. 12 volt systems allowed for much lighter wiring, and an exponential decrease in
the amount of copper consumed in auto production. This same reasoning is why most general aviation applications are 24 volts, only in this case it is to save weight.

I believe that in the future, you will see 36 or 72 volt systems in non-hybrid automotive applications, just because the components can be so much smaller, cheaper and lighter.

TomO
04-03-2010 @ 12:25 PM
Senior

IMHO 12 volt conversion is a waste of money unless you are adding air conditioning. Your car will start and run fine with a 6 volt system, you can buy a 6-12v converter for your radio / CD player for a lot less than the generator conversion to 12 v will cost and properly aimed 6 v sealed beams with good wiring will light the road just as good as the 12 v sealed beams.

A full flow oil filter setup is not necessary with frequent oil changes. If your car is not a daily driver, frequent changes are better for the engine than a better filtering system. Filters only remove the solids, your engine has more blow-by and gas leakage too contaminate the oil than current engines.

Tom

coupeman
04-03-2010 @ 12:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys I will procede to the crank inspection. Stroker an additional question for you, what is your advice on converting to 12 volts and adding a full flow oil setup?

supereal
04-03-2010 @ 7:27 AM
Senior

Dan is right on. If you bore beyond .060 oversize, you will have to order special (expensive) pistons. The best way to get more power out of a flathead is to increase the stroke with a 4" Mercury crank and associated parts. As you mention a "low end knock", you may need a replacement crank, anyway, if the journals are damaged.

Stroker
04-02-2010 @ 2:09 PM
Senior

You should be good for a number of over-bores. Hot Rodders in the 40's, and 50's routinely bored
their 59A blocks out to 3.375 inches. This overbore combined with a .375 stroke on a 49-53 crank, would net a 296 inch motor. So, in theory, you have a LOT of room to grow.

Occasionally, foundry core shifts would throw a monkey-wrench in this scheme however, so given the growing rarity of usable 59A blocks, I wouldn't consider boring it any larger than was necessary to clean up a bore condition problem. In the "good old days", we simply went back to the junk yard for another block. This is no longer a viable option.

Big engines were built to exploit a "competitive advantage" performance-wise. Most of us now days just want a nice turn-key "driver".

coupeman
04-02-2010 @ 12:18 PM

During the teardown of my engine(1948 Flathead V-8) I check the bore size of the pistons at the top of the cylinder( no ridges) with calipers and they all measured between 3.260 and 3.270, it appears the pistons are new and the walls are smooth. I did not pull the pistons yet to check ring wear, may not have to considering the appearance of the bores. My question is "what is the maximum bore size for this engine?". Can it be sleeved if it is maxed out or should it be replaced. The reason for the teardown is because the engine developed a low end knock, I am going to check the crank mains next.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org