LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / HEI Conversion, 47 Pickup

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: HEI Conversion, 47 Pickup -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Lawson Cox
11-29-2013 @ 6:15 PM

These old flatheads are extremely dependable if properly maintained. I have driven them all over the country, strictly stock, and they have not let me down yet.

jd52cranbrook
10-26-2013 @ 6:18 PM

Thanks very much.

trjford8
10-26-2013 @ 4:42 PM
Senior

jr, check out Bubba's Hotrod Shop in Speedway ,Indiana. They deal a lot with electronic ignition. The website is; www.lindertech.com. Once you get to the site check the left menu for Bubba's Hotrod Shop.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-26-13 @ 4:44 PM

jd52cranbrook
10-26-2013 @ 2:14 PM

Thank you all for the feedback, both pro and con.

It's certainly not my intent to step on anyone's toes here. I do have a lot of respect for keeping our vehicles original, and applaud the ones who do stick to the letter.

I have always loved old cars, dating back to getting permission to start and drive my mom's 41 Chevy in and out of the garage when I was young.

But I also like a bit more comfort, and even some modern devices in my drives. I don't build or restore old cars to show, I do so to drive them. The longer the trip the better I say. And yes, I do carry spares. I have replaced a head gasket on the side of the freeway in Idaho to the astonishment of two Highway Patrol Officers. That's part of the fun for me.
But I take pride in having every mechanical function of the car/truck very reliable, and functioning properly. I may bumble and stumble my way until I get there, but I do get there.
There is nothing more fun for me then to take my lady and me on a trip somewhere in our old car. She loves it just as much as I. In fact she has helped me in almost all phases of rebuild/restore.

I will do some more research, both through here and elsewhere. And try not to upset anyone further. After all, "It's all about the ride"

I want to add, it is not only the drives we enjoy, but the people we meet along the way, and at any event we do attend.

This message was edited by jd52cranbrook on 10-26-13 @ 2:15 PM

TomO
10-26-2013 @ 8:24 AM
Senior

JD,

There are no taboo questions on this forum. The answers are from people that restore and drive their car on a regular basis. You may not get the answer that you wanted, but in most cases it is the best answer available.

I am sure that Alan just had a bad day when he responded. He is normally very helpful.

My response was derived from my experience of over 30 years of driving flatheads. In that 30 years, the points never failed. I have seen many electronic ignition systems fail over this same period.

As far as reliability goes, electronics are subject to sudden failure, without warning. Mechanical points generally give you a warning before they fail. Most people that have changed their flatheads to electronic ignition carry a spare points distributor with them in case of failure.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-26-13 @ 8:25 AM

trjford8
10-26-2013 @ 7:51 AM
Senior

jd, research the electronic ignition issue thoroughly before making a decision on which one you may choose. I had a Mallory Unilite on an 8BA (53 Ford) motor that served me well. There is also a Pertronix conversion that can be used. If you go the electronic route be sure you go with a name brand so you can get parts if you need them. There are a few of us on here that do make modifications to our cars, so we'll try to help. No need to apologize as some have not considered that you are putting another old flathead back on the road. That's way more important than the critique of how you change the ignition system.

ford38v8
10-25-2013 @ 10:54 PM
Senior

JD, Perhaps you'r right. This Forum and the members of the EFV8CA do go to lengths to maintain originality. We also attempt to share our experience and knowledge of what works and what doesn't. As you obviously know quite a lot more than we do about the Early Ford dual point ignition, I wish you well in your search for a Forum that will reflect your views.

Alan

jd52cranbrook
10-25-2013 @ 8:42 PM

Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum.

While it's true I am new to Older Ford Trucks, I an not new to old cars. I have run several over the years, no trailer queens, all drivers. I have driven from the Bay Area CA to Detroit MI and back 4 times over the years for Woodward Dream Cruise. So I have a good idea on what works and what is less dependable.

To think that a old points set up is more reliable than a HEI system is simply being unrealistic.

That being said, I can see this is a strictly original, NOS type forum, and it looks like I asked a taboo question.

My apologies.

I hope to find a group a bit more open to dependability rather than strict originality.

I thought the cool thing would be to get another old truck on the road, I didn't know there had to be rules as to how.

This message was edited by jd52cranbrook on 10-25-13 @ 8:43 PM

fla48
10-25-2013 @ 7:48 PM

I agree with TomO. I installed an HEI system on my 72 Ford truck and it laid down on me on a cold rainy morning. After a 2 mile walk to get help, I went back to the original ignition system. There was no advantage to the HEI system and I have not had a problem with a stock system laying down on me (knock on wood). My 48 also retains the original 6 volt negative ground with the original style ignition. Works well.

TomO
10-25-2013 @ 8:45 AM
Senior

IMHO the dual point distributor on the Ford V-8 is much more reliable than the HEI system or any solid state system.

The dual point system gives better coil saturation than most solid state systems and is not prone to sudden failure due to voltage spikes or heat damage.

If you leave the truck at 6 volts POS ground, you can have a very reliable vehicle at less cost than changing to 12 volts NEG ground. Your truck doesn't have the accessories that modern cars have, so you really don't need the expensive change to 12 volts.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org