LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 41 panel delivery

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 41 panel delivery

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

tinkerer
05-07-2010 @ 6:14 PM

I just purchased a '41 Panel Delivery that is totally stock body but modified and updated running gear.
For your interest I am sending you a few photos. I would appreciate receiving some photos of yours. Also I am trying to find out how many were produced in '41, I know that many were sacrificed by the military in WWII. My email is shanklindon@aol.com.

trjford8
12-17-2009 @ 6:31 PM
Senior

Mark, saw your photo posted on the Fordbarn. Great truck and it should be left the way it is now. You could put a few primer spots on it to cover any bare metal, but it looks just fine. All of us appreciate nice old original Fords. They are the ones that set the mark for those that need to be restored. Your truck is not only a piece of Ford history , but a piece of Colorado history. Thanks for posting here on the V-8 Club site.I think you posted some recent photos on Fordbarn and it would be great if you could also post them here.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-17-09 @ 6:33 PM

ford38v8
12-17-2009 @ 3:45 PM
Senior

It's good to see the variety of Ford Motor vehicles that are being kept on the road. On our Concourses, we have seen most everything, I think, except for a Cement Mixer, and the dual engine tractor-trailers that transported Liberator sub assemblies to Texas. A great deal of history is being kept alive by dedicated collectors of these so-called less desirable vehicles.

A big thank you from all of us!

Alan

39 Ken
12-17-2009 @ 3:36 PM

Great story! Just love the old and original. If it had been restored, I bet the old timers, or you, would not appreciate and enjoy the truck as much as they did in it's present condition. JMO, but making her run dependably and safely, leaving the "Patina" of age and experience and memory would be the way to go. Just speaking for me, I'd leave her be in all her aged glory. Good luck with her. Ken

unclemark
12-17-2009 @ 2:25 PM

I was asked by an early v8 member to post this for everyone on this site after he saw it on another site.

Here is a quick historical back ground on the panel as best as I have been able to piece together at this time.

The truck was used purchased and used by the Horace Davis Grocery store in Lafayette Colorado until 1956. It was purchased by my friend and used on his farm until 1959. The tuck sat inside there until May of 2008 when I bought it and brought it home.

I started cleaning it up and working on getting the old truck running while looking for historical clues on it’s past. The truck is original except for tires, wiring and recovered seats. I was unable to find the correct material but the look better than they did.

I was invited to the local museum and there was a large turn out of older long time residents who remembered the truck and shared their memories. I had a chance to speak with a large group of these older residents who came to the local miners museum just to see the truck. Many of these people were well into their 80’s or 90’s.

The truck was driven by a young man by the name of Bob Palmer who later became a newscaster for channel 7 news here in Colorado. I was able to get in touch with Bob’s younger sister and brother who provided me with stories and a photo of the truck taken in 1948. Both family members came that day.

They tell me that the truck has significance to the community because it was the way in which most households and farms got their groceries on a regular basis. Saturdays were the busy days, the truck would run every hour on the hour according to the woman who was the switch board operator, she tells me that in those days you made a list and the grocer put it together for you at the store.

Back then people could ring up the Davis store via the switchboard
operator to have Bob bring their groceries to them. The truck was a
familiar site around town for many years. Other earlier trucks were used including a model T and some remember a flatbed truck with small stake sides but none survive to this day.

(Note; When I did have the lettering redone, all that was left was a red drop shadow. I guessed at the white. Must have been another darker color as the photo indicates).

Bob's sister recalls the truck was a kind of gray from the beginning. Other older long time residents confirm that the truck was that color new although Davis did not keep it as clean as it Is now. The fenders were not painted over as some may suggest, they are in fact the same color underneath as on top. The red oxide color showing through the faded paint is a Ford base primer and I am told common practice from the factory at the time.

Bob passed in 2008 and I never had the chance to show him the truck. His family was very surprised to know that the truck is still around and runs. Bob's sister knew my friend Joe. Both families were based in Lafayette at the time and although Joe was older than Bob, they both passed the same year.

I don’t know if I will be the one to restore this truck but maybe some day I will have enough money to rebuild the tired old flathead. I hope you guys will get a kick out of this.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org