LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Special Thanks

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Special Thanks -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
05-11-2015 @ 9:10 PM
Senior

Well, the time has finally come and after 1 1/2 years of first classic Mercury ownership am finally off to my first Meet & Rouge Class judging at the 2015 Eastern National in Charlotte next month. I want to thank everyone for their patience with the ignorant questions and steadfast resolve in encouraging the 'keep it original' mantra - I only wished I listened more, learned more, been more patient and kept my hands off the engine compartment & chassis to keep it original for judging. Fortunately I kept the tinkering minimal when bringing the '47 back to life and other than the impatient and ignorant use of non-original fasteners in a few places the running gear will make a great foundation for a full-restoration-minded future owner.

This said, a few of you have provided steadfast and patient mentoring that went above and beyond and as a result, this '47 will do very well in the Rouge Class - Interior judging next month, basically due to your teaching and excellent information provided that compelled me to keep my hands off of the interior. Again, wished I'd been more patient and listened both more and better when bringing the mechanicals back to life, but glad the lessons learned there resulted in a quality, delicate original-style preservation approach to the interior. For ALL this, I want to thank the following who have been most instrumental and encouraging in supporting me through this process and producing a quality, almost original chassis, almost original body, fully original interior and extremely enjoyable driver:

Rusty Davis
TomO
blarge
supereal
kubes40
carcrazy
cliftford
Stroker
trjford8
Bertha (aka "it's only original once")

There are many others who contributed and I could not list all or recall all, but the above routinely chimed in and provided excellent knowledge, advice and support. For this I am extremely grateful and want to give credit where it is due - could absolutely not have gotten this '47 to where it is without all your and others' support.

For any of you just starting the restoration process I encourage you to read up on all the judging classifications (if that's the route you think you wish to take) before you turn the first nut/screw/bolt, and also develop a deep understanding and appreciation for what is truly original. It will save you a ton of time, effort and $$$'s down the road and result in a more quality restoration and enjoyable result. In retrospect, personally not obtaining this knowledge first cost me in all of these areas. Should have read and listened more first (have I said this enough?).

Sincere thanks again to you all - hope to meet you in Charlotte!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-11-15 @ 9:13 PM

ford38v8
05-11-2015 @ 10:18 PM
Senior

Bravo! The best thank you note I think I've ever read here, makes me wish I'd been one of the contributors being praised, and sorrier still that I won't be able to meet this gentleman at Charlotte this year.

Alan

TomO
05-12-2015 @ 7:23 AM
Senior

Steve,

You are welcome and it has been a pleasure working with you over the past couple of years and I am glad to see that you are an active participant in the Forum and helping out others with their cars.

I am sorry that I will not be able to make the Charlotte Meet to meet you and see your efforts in person. I will make the Central National Meet at Brainerd, my son has graciously given up his vacation to travel with me so that the my 40 Mercury can receive its 75th Anniversary badge.

I suggest that you do have your car judged in all 3 areas and let the judges decide what is acceptable. The Rouge Class judges do not make point deductions, they just examine the car for originality and if an area is judged to meet the criteria, you will get an award.

I always enjoy seeing an original car and know how hard it is to keep you hands in your pockets when you have a chance to upgrade the car. My Lincoln won its 1st Rouge Award at Springfield last year in all 3 areas as well as scoring 98 out of 100 points at the Lincoln Club meet. The lost points were due to changes that the previous owner made to improve driveablity and I probably will not change them.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-12-15 @ 7:24 AM

len47merc
05-12-2015 @ 8:21 PM
Senior

Thanks Tom and Alan. I will take your advice Tom and submit the '47 to all 3 Rouge Class areas. Update you both after the Meet.

Perhaps we will finally get to meet at another east coast/northern midwest event in the future and I'll get the pleasure of meeting you both and thanking you both in person - hopefully it will work out someday.

Steve

trjford8
05-13-2015 @ 7:33 AM
Senior

Steve, glad we could help and good luck at the ENM. Rouge cars are the basis for all of us to learn just how it was done at the factory. Thanks for preserving as much as possible of your Mercury.

Stroker
05-13-2015 @ 6:07 PM
Senior

Steve: I'm glad we could collectively contribute to your quest. Thank's for the credit.
Stroker

len47merc
06-11-2015 @ 5:24 AM
Senior

Following-up with the results from all your input and support: My '47 Mercury earned two ROUGE AWARDS - one for the interior and one for running gear. The former was humbly anticipated, the latter a bit more than somewhat of a surprise that only was realized as a result of all your advice on preservation versus restoration. Clearly you caught me and opened my eyes just in the nick of time on the running gear and for that I am truly grateful.

Tom - thanks also for suggesting having all three areas judged.

Great learning experience that should be attended by all, IMHO, before starting a preservation or restoration project.

And for those who have never done it, the first time you place a tall 68+ year-old bias-ply equipped car on the high banks of Charlotte Motor Speedway can be a bit harrowing. For what it's worth and for future reference, accelerate up to 60+ mph before hitting the curves and you will find it much more manageable with less rear-end crabbing down the banking and much less (false) sense of tipping over. Wife was just short of screaming on the first lap. What a hoot!

For those interested I'll attach a few pics of the interior. And for those who catch it, after the first photo from several months ago was taken, the heater cover (with the 3 doors) was re-oriented 180 degrees, based on input from you on this forum.

Thanks again everyone!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-11-15 @ 6:01 AM

len47merc
06-11-2015 @ 5:27 AM
Senior

2nd interior photo

Steve

len47merc
06-11-2015 @ 5:29 AM
Senior

Headliner 1

Steve

len47merc
06-11-2015 @ 5:31 AM
Senior

Headliner 2

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org