LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Cylinders 2-3-5-8 Running rich - others no - ?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cylinders 2-3-5-8 Running rich - others no - ? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

len47merc
04-08-2014 @ 3:05 PM
Senior

Tom - you are probably already aware (meant to mention this in the earlier pm) that 'ken ct.' who had replied earlier in this stream is Ken Isodore. Ken had supplied his number in his first reply to this discussion which is how I happened upon him.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-8-14 @ 6:18 PM

TomO
04-08-2014 @ 8:03 AM
Senior

I believe that the idle mixture screw could cause one side to run richer than the other and still idle fairly smooth. I also wonder if the seat for the screw has been damaged.

Now that you have the carburetor apart, I would put in a new kit. Ken Isador does supply a good kit, and is the only one that I know of that has the steel float needle.

Tom

ken ct.
04-08-2014 @ 5:38 AM
Senior

Most decent kits contain new idle screws ?? Mine do anyhow. Hope yours contained correct and much better leather accelerator pumps and old school steel needle and inlet and 5.5 power valves not 7.5 # like most kits have.Sounds like you may have purchased a bummer China made kit. OMO. ken ct.

len47merc
04-08-2014 @ 5:14 AM
Senior

Gents - after review of the disassembled carb all that can be found that varies significantly barrel-to-barrel is a much more rounded and worn right side idle mixture screw. As noted above, previously after the carb rebuild the motor idled smoothly and responded normally to the 'full in, one turn out, 1/8 in' process so am questioning whether this could be the root cause.

Still plan on employing Tom's advice on the hour-run/new plug review upon motor re-install in a few weeks, but want to ensure I've addressed all I can on this issue prior to that time.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-8-14 @ 5:15 AM

len47merc
04-03-2014 @ 4:07 PM
Senior

Good Tom - thanks, will do. Carcrazy's confirmation of the passenger barrel is appreciated as well. The carb was so clean and all ports verified for openness that I am stunned to see one side producing such a rich result and have to agree you at this point on the 'prior to carb rebuild' case. The idle mixture was set after carb rebuild using the '1 turn out, 1/8 in' process but the vac gauge is coming out of storage after this episode. Will update after the 1-hour ride/quick shutdown/plug review in a few weeks after motor reinstall.

Steve

TomO
04-02-2014 @ 6:24 AM
Senior

Steve,

The carbon deposits that you see in the cylinders could be from before you rebuilt the carburetor. When you get the car back together and running, check the idle mixture by turning in each mixture screw until it bottoms and then back out 1 turn. Start the engine and adjust the mixture screws in together 1/8 turn at a time. When the engine begins to stumble, back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn until the engine idles smooth. Both screws should be adjusted the same amount.If you have a vacuum gauge, connect it to the wiper port of the intake and fine tune the mixture for the highest steady vacuum. If you cannot get a good adjustment doing this, you need to check out the carburetor and ignition system.

Next, check out the high speed mixture by putting in new plugs and taking the car out for a long ride of 1 hour or more and then bring it home and shut it off without letting it idle. When it cools down, check the plug color for mixture. If the plugs are normal, then your driving mixture is OK.

Tom

carcrazy
04-01-2014 @ 9:41 AM
Senior

All of your rich cylinders (2,3,5&8) are fed by the passenger (right) side barrel of the carburetor. I would check everything that controls fuel flow through this barrel. The items to check are: main metering jets, idle jets, power valve jets, idle air bleeds, air bleed plugs (aspirating nozzles), idle mixture adjusting screws and seats, and all gaskets and sealing washers in the fuel and metering circuits. Be sure all of the passages in the carburetor are clean. I would especially look for a blockage in the air bleed passages which would cause the fuel/air ratio to be richer.

ken ct.
04-01-2014 @ 4:52 AM
Senior

Do you have access to another carb from a friend to try on it. I can send you one of my rebuilts if you want to go that way. Payment can be made after you try it and its normal again otherwise just send it back to me with mailing cost to me. ken ct. Sounds like somethings is OS in there.Best I can do for you call if you want. 1-203-260-5945 cell. be back in an hour.

len47merc
04-01-2014 @ 4:04 AM
Senior

Eyeballing, these '51' labelled jets look identical but my eyes haven't been calibrated in a while. Will pin them later today. Had not yet considered the idle jets - will check those as well. Have to think this carb is worn somewhere/somehow.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-1-14 @ 4:05 AM

ken ct.
03-31-2014 @ 10:44 PM
Senior

I think your on the right track,could be an unmatched pair of nozzle bars or the long idle air jets have a bigger or smaller hole in 1 of them.Not sure of what side controls those cyl but its worth checking. Do jets measure the same. I don't mean the # on them either. Check sizes w. a pin gauge. OMO. ken ct.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org