LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / '47 Merc Red Accent Paint Color

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: '47 Merc Red Accent Paint Color

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
12-05-2013 @ 5:41 AM
Senior

Restoring an early '47 Merc (original '47 Parrot Green color paint is still reasonably healthy) but have been unable to find the correct original color of red accent paint for the bumpers, hubcaps (6 arched bars and the 'Mercury Man' head), and front grill background for 'Mercury' and 'Eight'. All areas have varying degrees of remnants of this original red accent paint, some of which has faded and/or flaked off more than other areas. Additionally, the rear deck/trunk lid - have not been able to determine whether the words 'Mercury' and 'Eight' in the stainless trim panels were originally red or black for this particular Parrot Green trim (no remaining blushes of color to make an accurate judgement). Internet images show wide variation in color selection/customization and sources such as Auto Color Library, among others, have unfortunately not been able to make the call either. Any help or advice here is greatly appreciated.

Currently am repairing/buffing the original hubcaps and prepping for paint - those shown in the attached photo are temporary loaners from a colleague.

Steve

TomO
12-05-2013 @ 7:49 AM
Senior

Your best bet is to try to match the red by eye. I used One Shot bright red and darkened it with black to match the red on my 40 Mercury. The One Shot paints seem to stick better to the chrome and stainless than other brands that I have tried. They also flow out better leaving no or minimal brush strokes.

I coated mine with an adhesion promoter first and they have held up pretty well with some of the hubcap paint just starting to chip after 15 years of washing and drying.

My 47 Merc had the Mercury Eight on the trunk painted black. I don't remember seeing any painted red or any color other than black back in the day.

Your car is very nice, you don't see many that color. Glade Green was a more popular color in the Midwest.

I don't remember seeing an early 47 with the long hood stainless trim and the chrome grill surround. A friend of mine had 47 with the short stainless trim and the painted grill surround. His was made near the changeover in April of 47.

Tom

len47merc
12-05-2013 @ 8:54 AM
Senior

Thanks Tom 0 for your reply and kind comments. The reference to my Merc being an 'early' '47 was to clarify some of the points you just made. You (and others) may know in April of '47 the design changed from mostly '46 attributes (hood trim, hubcaps, etc.) to the new design. The 'late' '47's did not have the Mercury Man head hubcaps, the hood trim stopped ~1/3 of the way forward and then an ~18" Mercury 'badge' trim piece followed toward the front, the trip odometer was eliminated and the trumpet horns were changed, these among other minor cosmetic modifications.

Thanks also for the accent paint advice - I will try your method. Suspected in the end I may have to simply eyeball the remnants of the red paint but given 66 years of weathering knew it may ultimately require a bit of 'best guessing' in the end. Had hoped some record may exist somewhere on the original accent color but other than body paint color records have not been able to find them. Have yet to decide on how best to paint the hubcaps - the arching bars I can mask and air brush but the Mercury Man head has me stumped at present.

Steve

TomO
12-06-2013 @ 7:54 AM
Senior

Steve,

You might try contacting the V-8 Club's 42-48 Mercury Adviser, Rusty Davis to see if he has a formula for the paint. He has a lot of knowledge about the 42 -48 Mercury. Mine is based mainly on my memory, which is getting clogged up and unreliable.

I read one method of painting the hubcaps that you might try. The author used Testor's spray enamel and sprayed the hubcap logo area and then used a wide masking tape, stretched very tight and placed over the logo area, to pick up the over spray on the raised areas. I have not tried this, I just used a small artists paint brush to carefully fill in the red area.

Tom

len47merc
12-08-2013 @ 6:12 AM
Senior

All,

In speaking with Early Ford V-8 Club technical advisers it appears either some or all of my research and representations made by perhaps non-qualified resources regarding the 'early' versus 'late' '47 attributes may have been in error. The car was originally and is now titled as a '47, the grill's chrome perimeter is '47 though most if not all other attributes appear to be from '46. Glass codes are from '47, VIN is late '46/early '47. Not sure where this one will end up but am glad to now be a Club member working with the qualified resources we have. Apologies if the info given earlier in this thread is in error. Depending upon outcome may post a new thread if found to be of interest and value.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 12-8-13 @ 7:06 AM

TomO
12-09-2013 @ 3:17 PM
Senior

Steve,

You might want to re-think painting the trim and engine and put your car in the Rouge Class on the Concourse. It will give the rest of us a chance to see an original car.

Tom

len47merc
12-09-2013 @ 8:34 PM
Senior

Thanks Tom - I have much more work to do though and much much more to learn before showing this car. Fleshing out the vehicle's originality with EFV8C technical advisers as well as bringing it back to life after decades of being idled has been enlightening, educational and positive and I am very fortunate to own it.

In the interim, attached is a more appropriately sized pic than that posted earlier under a separate thread - the best I can do for the time being. For a specific personal reason I need to move forward with the accent color paint, but do not intend to do anything cosmetically under the hood short-term other than beginning the cleaning of 66 years of dirt and grime accumulation off the block, trans and motor compartment general.

Steve

len47merc
12-15-2013 @ 4:50 AM
Senior

UPDATE - 1 SHOT 'KOOL CRIMSON 106-L', USING APPROPRIATE AMOUNTS OF 1 SHOT'S HARDENER AND REDUCER AS DIRECTED, APPLIED WITH QUALITY PIN STRIPING BRUSHES, PRODUCES A VERY SMOOTH, VERY HARD FACTORY-LIKE FINISH AND THE COLOR SHADE AND HUE ARE ON THE MARK. ADHESION IS EXCELLENT AS TomO DESCRIBED ABOVE. THIS COLOR IS A RELATIVELY RECENT ADDITION TO 1 SHOT'S COLOR CHART.

Steve

Chascwell2
02-17-2014 @ 10:51 AM

Regarding paint color. I agree , One shot red is a good color match or at least close. After good cleaning of effected part, just push the paint around with a tooth pick, it works well. After it dries it can be trimmed with a razor blade. Amazon is a good place to get One shot paint

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org