LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 49 Mercury light switch

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 49 Mercury light switch -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

49FH8
07-24-2011 @ 8:52 PM

I recently purchased a beautiful 49 Mercury. It has been converted to a 12v system. The headlights didn't work. I replaced the fuse and they work except the wire terminals at the switch get extremely hot. Is this normal? Is it an issue having a 12v system with a 6v switch? Also, the temp gauge doesn't work...where is a good place to find one or have it repaired? Thanks for any help.

TomO
07-25-2011 @ 7:04 AM
Senior

A switch is not voltage sensitive. It should work equally well with either 6 Volts or 12 Volts.

The terminals are getting hot due to excessive current or excessive resistance. Excessive current can be caused by Halogen lights or a leak to ground due to poor insulation in the wires.

Excessive resistance can be due to wiring that is too small for the current or corrosion.

To check out whether the Temp gauge or the sender is bad, remove the wire from the sender in the left head going to the gauge and ground the wire. Turn on the ignition and the gauge should move towards the cold indication. Do not leave the switch on for more than a few seconds with the wire grounded as you will damage the gauge.

If the gauge works, reconnect the wire to the terminal that also has the right side sender connected to it and then repeat the above test. If the gauge now goes to the cold side, the left sender is defective. If it stays at the hot side, either the right side sender is bad or it does not have a good ground. Try installing a jumper from a good ground to the housing of the sender.

Tom

49FH8
07-27-2011 @ 5:20 AM

Tom, I appreciate the info and will check it out this weekend. Many thanks, Steve

49FH8
07-27-2011 @ 4:32 PM

Tom, I changed the headlights to a non-halogen type and still getting heat at the fuse and switch terminals. The wiring seems to be fairly new and of adequate size 16-18 gauge. Any suggestions on best way to troubleshoot a leak to ground - I am mechanically capable but electrically handicapped. I will soon test the Temp gauge based on your instructions. It's hot down here in Houston and can only stay in the heat for short periods to troubleshoot. Thx Steve

49FH8
07-27-2011 @ 5:09 PM

Tom...Great instructions for troubleshooting! The gauge is good and I will be replacing both sending units. Now if I can fix the hot switch problem I will be close to cruising again! Many thanks, Steve

TomO
07-28-2011 @ 7:21 AM
Senior

Are you sure that your car does not have halogen headlight bulbs or tail light bulbs. They are very high current devices and can cause your problem.

To trouble shoot the light switch, use your voltmeter. Connect the POS lead of the meter to the NEG battery post. Then connect the COM lead of your meter to the input of the light switch. Turn on the lights and measure the voltage. It should be 1/10 of a volt or less. Turn off the lights and move the probe to the output of the switch and remeasure the voltage with the lights on. When the voltage increases, you will have found the source of the resistance.

Depending on how your gauges are powered, you may need a 12 volt sending unit for the right side. The left side is just a high temperature switch and is not voltage sensitive.

Tom

49FH8
07-28-2011 @ 1:38 PM

Tom...I REALLY appreciate your help!

I have 11+ volts at the input of the switch and therefore the same 11+ volts to the lights with switch on. 1/10v output with switch off. I assume I should not have 11+ volts on the input side. What now?

Based on your instruction, the left sender is bad but planned to change both. How do I determine if the right sender is 12v.

Thanks again for your help, Steve

TomO
07-28-2011 @ 5:47 PM
Senior

Steve, I am sorry but I made an error in describing the meter lead hook up. I described it for a POS ground system and your is a NEG ground system.

The COM lead of the meter should be on the POS terminal of the battery and you would probe with the POS lead of the meter. This will give you the voltage loss between the 2 points.

A 12 volt sender is usually marked with 12 or 12V. I would not change the right sender if it is working. New parts are not always better than old working parts.

Tom

49FH8
07-31-2011 @ 4:23 PM

Tom, Finally getting time to do test today. If I am doing this correctly, the results are:
Lights on - Input -.43 volts
Head lights on - Head -.9v
Dash -.94v
Tail -.97v
Park -12.34v
Park lights on - Head -12.32v
Dash -.68v
Tail -.68v
Park -.71v
Let me know what this means to you. Thanks, Steve

TomO
08-01-2011 @ 7:00 AM
Senior

Steve,

You did the test correctly.

You have a voltage loss of .43 volts on the input to the switch. You may have a loose or corroded connection in the wires leading to the switch.

Your light switch has internal resistance that is causing you to loose almost 1 volt. It should be around .5 volts with a 12 volt system.

You can try operating the switch many times to see if you can lower the voltage drop across the switch. If that doesn't work, I would disassemble the switch, clean the contacts and lube them with a corrosion inhibiting grease.

Now that you know how to do the test, move your probe to the head light connector. This will give you the total voltage loss to the lights.

Because the terminals are getting hot, you should show more voltage drop at the headlight connector.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org