LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Inside of fenders and body color?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Inside of fenders and body color?

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

FRITZ47
03-28-2013 @ 6:24 PM

We have the fenders, hood, doors and deck lid removed, sanded and primed, and ready to paint next week. Question: were the insides of the fenders of a 1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible painted black or body color?

Also there were two or three colors of maroon for this car in 1940. Does anyone have the name of these shades of maroon.

Thanks for the help - trying to keep the car 100% original and above is critical. After picture taken below, car was primed with a primer tinted towards maroon. But we need to know our choices of maroon for the 1940, as am getting conflcting information.

Fritz

supereal
03-29-2013 @ 11:36 AM
Senior

The maroon color used from 1940 thru 1948 is called "Mandarin/Monsoone Maroon", and was the Ford color 50035. There were five maroons used by Ford, but the above was the only one for 1940, according to my PPG book. It is the darkest of that shade, and looks almost black in the color chip chart. The PPG formula per quart, in parts, is DMA: 342=20.1, 358=34.2, 354=342.0, 360=593.5 I don't know if this can be translated into modern paint because of changes in type and formulation now used. The book is still available from C&G as Item V-25, covering 37-48. $40. 800/266-0470. The chips are large, and a good paint shop may be able to scan it to match. The underside of the hood and fenders were painted body color at the factory.

FRITZ47
03-29-2013 @ 4:12 PM

Thanks Supereal,

While waiting for some response, I did some additional research, and according to this research, there was one other color used in 1940, as shown in my Ditzler Chart. This color was a "spring" color and not available on early models. It is called Garnet Maroon - lighter than the Mandarin Maroon. Check this link and arrow down to a beautiful 1940 Ford Convertible Dearborn winner in Garnet Maroon.

This is our choice of color and the paint will be applied next week. Once completed i will post some pictures (too bad only one picture can be posted at a time, unless I am missing something).

http://classicfordgarage.com/aboutus.html

Fritz

This message was edited by FRITZ47 on 3-29-13 @ 4:17 PM

Stroker
03-29-2013 @ 5:37 PM
Senior

Fritz:

Ford used a "dipping" process to paint fenders. The result is that the insides got coated body color. As to color, I'd check with Jimmy "Chips" Wells, who can mix accurate repops using contemporary components. I was able to come up with a very good match for my "Spring" color by sending an unexposed sample to a supplier who was able to scan it.

supereal
03-29-2013 @ 5:46 PM
Senior

I agree, Fritz, that Ford did use Seasonal variations from time to time. The challenge for judging would be to have in hand an authentic documentation that such a color was used within the period shown by the serial number of the car. I am not a judge, nor do I show my cars, so before I applied an exception color, I'd want to consult the judging contingent on their opinion, just to be sure. As to posting multiple photos here, it isn't possible, as far as I know. When I have an occasion to do it, I arrange to use email after getting an address via the private message feature of the Forum.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-29-13 @ 5:49 PM

FRITZ47
03-29-2013 @ 9:20 PM

We have a car collection and close to 40 cars on display in Canfield, Ohio and have many flathead V8 Fords. We have a small restoration shop for improving and maintaining our cars. While our goal is to keep most of our cars "as original" we seldom have cars judged at national competition.

We do a lot of research so as not to screw up the originality of the cars, but we will compromise from time to time to save costs and time. An exception would be if we do a body-off restoration. In that case we would have the car judged nationally and tend to each critical item. Since it takes about a year for such a project, we do only one of these every 2 or 3 years.

This 1940 Ford is (and always was) rust free and mostly original, but was a driver. We bought it from the deceased owner's widow and are very happy with the car. At first we were going to just straighten two small dents in the right fenders and do some touchup and buffing, as well as new floor mats and carpet.

As has happened so many times in the past, we were unable to match the paint, so decided to remove some of the chrome and mask off the rest and give it a "quick paint job". When we got deeper and deeper into the project we found we had a very solid car (not even one spot of rust or repaired rust). One thing led to another and we soon removed the hood, grille, front and rear fenders, doors and deck lid and all the chrome. I ordered a new front Benton Gray rubber floor mat from Carpenter and I will be replacing the rear carpet (I have the equipment and knowledge and do my own carpet and upholstery work). Chrome was perfect except the headlight doors (ordered a pair from Drake).

We then bought new wiring harnesses and replaced all the wiring. It is turning into a major project, but not at all like some in the past. The car was pretty much original when purchased - had a Columbia rear end, which we will be keeping. It also has a Mallory coil and ignition, which we will retain, as car starts immediately and runs perfectly.

Engine color was blue and we sprayed it the original green. We also did a great job on the firewall (not removing the engine) to save time. Car has dual exhausts (not loud) which will stay.

In summary this car will look as good as new, but if closely examined by a knowledgeable early Ford judge it would admittedly have a few issues. We do not sell our cars, but if this car would ever be sold, it will be 90-95% original and if someone wanted to change the ignition and go back to a single exhaust, it could be done at minimal expense. Somone mentioned that the carburetor was not correct, but as it runs so well, we will not be changing this. Everything else (appearance inside and outside will be exactly as original). Color will be Garnet Maroon.

Attached is a picture of our facility. Our car museum buildings are the second and third buildings in left foreground, both are just to the left of our driveway entrance.

Our car museums are open every Saturday from 10 AM to 3 PM (Free Admission), so if anyone is ever in NE Ohio, be sure to stop in to see us. See www.tipcars.us for directions and many pictures of our cars. Click on "New Additions" and arrow down - lots of neat stuff.

I am the original founder of Tip Tools, TP Tools and Skat Blast (mfg. of sandblasting cabinets and HVLP paint spray systems).I am retired, but still come to work to help our son run a very busy business, although am usually working on our cars (or watching).

Thanks to everyone who has been so helpful with many answers and assistance. This help is greatly appreciated and in most cases followed to the letter.

Fritz

This message was edited by FRITZ47 on 3-29-13 @ 9:30 PM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org