LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Caburetetor Idle Mixture Screw s

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Caburetetor Idle Mixture Screw s -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

sarahcecelia
05-06-2021 @ 6:32 PM
Senior

Did a lot of Solex carbs on VW's back in the day; but i have very little experience on the '40 Ford carb.

The car idles good with one idle mix adjustment screw adjusted all the way CLOSED!, ( which I know is wrong) the other about 1 and 1/8th turns out. Both should be about the same amount or close!. It seems that the idle system has a blockage in it. I blew compressed air in with the adjusting screws out, and then compressed "Carbutetor Cleaner" (that one gets at an auto parts store) into both; to no avail!!

I tried to take the carb apart, and seperating the upper part from the lower there are some hangups! I certainly don't want to bend or brake any of the linkages on it, that are causing the hangups in seperating the main body (fuel bowl) from lower part that has the idle mixture screws in it, so I can soak it in my gallon tank of carburetor cleaner. SUGGESTIONS??????

Regards, Steve Lee Mis spellimg-it was supposed to be "CARBURETOR"

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 5-12-21 @ 5:13 PM

ford38v8
05-06-2021 @ 10:01 PM
Senior

Steve, if you can't remove the linkage, I'm afraid I have no suggestions for you.

Alan

40 Coupe
05-07-2021 @ 5:16 AM
Senior

Most likely a 94 Carb. the linkage to the accelerator pump should just pry off with slight pulling on the pump end, if not lube the accelerator pump end, there is a spring loaded ball inside the accelerator pump linkage holding the linkage to the base in place. When you get it apart make sure the gasket does not block the hole going to the mixture adj screws. DO NOT enlarge any of the holes you can use a drill, by hand, of the proper size to clean the passage in the base to the idle mixture screws WITH THE SCREWS REMOVED. and fine wire to poke through the small holes above and below the throttle plates in the base. This is where the usual blockage occur but there could be other blockage in the main Carb body.

ken ct.
05-07-2021 @ 6:40 AM
Senior

This is what happends when an AMATURE gets hold of a carburetor. Hasent the foggist idea what hes doing !!! ken ct.

TomO
05-07-2021 @ 7:19 AM
Senior

Steve, Daytona parts in Florida is one of the better carburetor rebuilding companies in the US. Take or send your carburetor to them before you destroy it. Not everyone can successfuly rebuild the Ford carburetor. Just putting in a kit in an 80 year old carburetor does not ensure that you will have a good working carburetor. Yours sounds like it needs to have the power valve seat refaced.

Tom

40 Coupe
05-08-2021 @ 4:39 AM
Senior

Charlie Schwindler is the 94 rebuilding expert see the V8 Times classified section for his ad.

1931 Flamingo
05-08-2021 @ 9:49 AM

X2 on Charlie ! !
Paul in CT

sarahcecelia
05-09-2021 @ 8:22 AM
Senior

I fixed it!!

I took the carb off the intake, took the bottom part of the carburetor assy. off ( the section that has the mixture screws in it,) by first lifting the link to the accel. pump gently out (sideways), and remembering it was in the middle hole. Then I removed the mixture screws, shot carb cleaner in those hole until it came out of it's the exit ports; put the unit back on the rest of the carburetor, putting the accel. link in that middle hole again, remounted the carb on the intake manifold, installed the mix screws one turn out (as an initial setting,)

Then I started the motor, let it warm up- and then did a final adjust on the idle mixes, which amounted to about 1/16th of a turn out. BINGO!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia
05-10-2021 @ 5:11 AM
Senior

Problm solved! I took the bottom off (part with the idle screws) blew carb cleaner in screw holes 'til it came out through their exits; re-installed it back on carb, put carb on motor, started motor, warmed it to temp, adjusted idle screws, and it's idling good!!

It was the accelerator link that was giving me a problem to remove that bottom section; I found out There was enough play in it to gently move it out of the middle hole to get the bottom off. At first I was afraid of damaging that link, but I finally figured out how to disconnct it,as stated in the previous sentence.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia
05-10-2021 @ 5:14 AM
Senior

ken ct., You need to get a dictionary out when you write a thread. Your spelling is HORRIFIC!! It's AMATUER, NOT "AMATURE," and FOGGIEST, NOT FOGGIST. And you criticize me????

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 5-10-21 @ 6:07 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org