LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Checking my voltage regulator

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Checking my voltage regulator -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

sarahcecelia
07-04-2017 @ 8:35 AM
Senior

I would appreciate it if someone would explain in VERY CONCISE DETAIL, step by step, how to check my voltage regulator with my voltmeter. It seems that my questions and answers got mixed in with another guys, that found his regulator was defective.I know what the readings should be,in the different areas of the gauge,and to warm motor to temp first,and to rev to about 1500 rpms. I know that the volt meter connects to the BAT terminal on the regulator?But where does the other go? And disconnectthe battery???HELP!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

len47merc
07-04-2017 @ 1:14 PM
Senior

Steve - suggest you pick up a copy of the 'Shop Manual' for your year car (assume '40 given where you posted your question). Here is a link to one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O2CF59S/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1499198523&sr=8-6&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=1940+ford+shop+manual

It has a very detailed description of the procedure you are looking for as well as a host of very helpful others, and additional information that will give you a clearer understanding of the workings of the voltage regulator and why the evaluation tests and adjustments are conducted as described. This and the appropriate 'Motors Manual' should give you most everything you'll need in more than adequate, concise and comprehensive detail.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-4-17 @ 2:00 PM

sarahcecelia
07-04-2017 @ 6:18 PM
Senior

I have that repair book, Ford Mercury 1932-41 Shop manual, that you gave me the Amazon url address for. It is a piece of cr*p! It just kind of scans over some generalitys about things! It tells absolutely nothing about things you really need to know more about, and doesn't go into much detail about what it does tell. The testing of the voltage regulator is not covered at all. It just tells you why the car needs one.I bought that manual about a year ago- what a waste of money!!"Kubes" sent a reply to a guy on the forum that there were 15 grease fittings on a '40; well that manual says there are only 10. Who do I believe? You got it "Kubes!!"

Regards, Steve Lee

cliftford
07-04-2017 @ 8:49 PM
Senior

Try to find a Motors or Chiltons manual that covers that era. I've found them to be very comprehensive on electrical.

len47merc
07-05-2017 @ 5:16 AM
Senior

Steve - sorry to have directed you to the Shop Manual, though to my credit I added the Motors Manual which cliftford endorsed as well. The '42-'48 Shop Manual does an adequate job of describing this process and I assumed the earlier Service Handbook for '32-'41 would have done so as well. Taking your description at face value I will refrain from that recommendation in the future.

For your info - here is a link to an original Ford Motor Company REPAIR MANUAL GENERATING AND STARTING SYSTEMS 1933-1947 book from June 27, 1947 that covers the process per Ford's original procedures in complete detail:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-1947-ORIGINAL-Repair-Manual-Generating-and-Starting-Systems-Ford-Motor-Co-/272734738830?hash=item3f8041d98e:g:bQYAAOSw9NdXujTo

These manuals are color coded - this one is yellow - and others exist for 'FUEL SYSTEMS' (red), 'ENGINES' (green), etc. Over the last few years I've been able to obtain a full set of quality, well-cared for originals. Perhaps this will help as well. I keep each of mine in fitted plastic sleeves and then all in a sealed plastic bag for protection/storage and only remove them for reference when needed or for display at Meets.

If you'll send me a pm with your e-mail address I'll be glad to scan the applicable pages from the 'yellow' manual and send them to you if you are interested.

Lastly, if you perform a search for 'voltage regulator' for 'ALL' Forums and Username 'TomO' you'll find dozens of results for which one or more will likely contain quality information from Tom on what you are searching for.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-5-17 @ 5:27 AM

sarahcecelia
07-05-2017 @ 5:26 AM
Senior

I have chilton's 1940-1953! I'm literally amazed because I never knew that that I have that one!! I'll take a look in it. Thanks!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia
07-05-2017 @ 5:43 AM
Senior

Well, I looked in that Chilton manual, and it only tells you the air gaps and point gaps on the 1940 regulator! Darn!!

Regards, Steve Lee

len47merc
07-05-2017 @ 6:06 AM
Senior

Steve - did you see my 2nd reply to you above?

Steve

TomO
07-05-2017 @ 6:33 AM
Senior

Steve, I replied to your post in the General Ford Discussion, but I will give you a step by step directions here. These directions assume that your engine is in running condition and that all connections are in their normal mode.

1. Set the volt meter to the scale that has the maximum reading above 9 volts so that the 6-8 volts will be in the center of the range (10 or 15 volt range would be OK).
2. Connect the black or COM lead of the volt meter to the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator, leaving all wires connected.
3. Connect the red or + lead of the volt meter to a good ground (+terminal of battery, ground strap or engine bolt).
4. The meter should read battery voltage (6.2 - 6.5 Volts).
5. Start the engine and let it warm up.
6. Increase the engine speed to around 1.500 RPM and read the meter.
7. The meter should read at least 7.2 Volts and no more than 7.6 Volts. Any other reading means the regulator is out of range.
8. Let the engine idle for at least 30 seconds.
9 . Turn off the engine
10. Disconnect the meter.

Tom

sarahcecelia
07-07-2017 @ 5:55 PM
Senior

I finally took the generator to an old guy, (semi- retired) "Old school" generator/ regulator repairman that has done them for years and years, about 28 miles up the road today. He said the generator isn't putting out right and he is going to take it apart, find out what it needs, get the parts and rebuild it. Then he's going to set it up with my regulator, on his test bench, and adjust the regulator if it needs it! He said the cost would be $200 or less depending on what parts it needs. Hoorah!! But sincerely, I appreciate all the guys that made comments to try to help me on this forum!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org