Topic: 1932 Roadster Pickup

Fuimus    -- 02-20-2015 @ 7:55 AM
  Hi all,

I am resident in South Africa and have recently acquired my first early Ford V8. It is a rare Jensen (UK) bodied Drop Head Coupe on a 1934 RHD Ford Chassis manufactured in Canada. It is believed only a handful were made and this one has been in the same family for 80 years since new.

But I am seeking guidance on a second vehicle, on behalf of my friend, its current owner. This is a 1932 Model 18 Roadster Pickup that he has owned (and restored) for the past 50+ years, having acquired it from its original owner. The car is a Canadian manufacture delivered to South Africa in CKD format and assembled at the Port Elizabeth plant.

By pure chance, I found an entry in a 1987 Hemmings Catalogue for a similar pickup that stated only five such vehicles were known to exist. Also in the 1980's my friend was informed by Ford that only six were known to exist.

I have attached a picture (if it works!) and would like confirmation that this is what we believe it to be.

For information, I have a large collection of cars in South Africa that includes a number of Ford and Ford powered sports cars from Model T through to Mustang and GT40 and Shelby Daytona Coupe Tribute cars.

Thank you in advance.

1932BB    -- 02-20-2015 @ 8:16 AM
  The roadster pickup looks like a 1934 US model. The hood and radiator sh*ll are 34. It would be rare indeed to have a V8 RP from 32. Beautiful truck!

Fuimus    -- 02-20-2015 @ 8:30 PM
  Thank you for this feedback. I have had this feedback before, but it does not answer all the questions.

I have trawled through hundreds of pictures and articles that show and describe the radiator, headlight, bonnet, tub and fender styles between 1932 and 1934. The combination on this particular vehicle seems unique.

- The radiator and bonnet louvers are vertical (in my mind 1932, not 1933/34);
- I have never seen a picture of the V8 emblem in the bonnet verticals;
- The headlight bar disappeared in 1933;
- The engine is a 1932 Canadian unit;

The original owner told my friend that he ordered a new Model B Pickup (4 cylinder with steel roof cab) in 1932 but was delivered this V8 powered vehicle with roadster cab as it is. Is it possible this was some form of prototype or special construct?

Fuimus    -- 02-21-2015 @ 12:55 AM
  Posting this and getting the response I have has caused me to think differently about what I know (or don't know). I have now searched for and found under "1934 Model B", the conventional Pickup with the specific features of the vehicle in question. I also see that in Europe (maybe Dagenham) the same body was used for both the B engine and flathead V8.

What historic luck that the original owner received a Roadster rather than conventional Pickup!

Thank you.

TomO    -- 02-21-2015 @ 7:39 AM
  The Beller Museum has 3 1932 Model B open cab pickups. Jordon Beller wrote an article on them at one time. He would probably enjoy hearing from you about your pickup.

http://bellermuseum.com/home.html

Tom

Fuimus    -- 02-21-2015 @ 2:35 PM
  Thank you for this valuable feedback. I have looked at the website and will certainly make contact

Regards

Brian

3w2    -- 02-21-2015 @ 5:26 PM
  It is a lovely and extremely rare truck, but it is not a '32. Everything that shows in your photo is characteristic of a '34 truck, from what I can see of the chassis frame, front bumper brackets, front fenders, running boards, hood, radiator sh*ll (it is sloped forward at the bottom).

From what I've seen in Ford's Archives over the years, including those in Europe, I do not recall seeing any reference that would suggest that either of the North American style pickups, open or closed cab, were offered by any of the Ford entities in Europe let alone any part of them manufactured there.

But it being a '34 is a plus given that it is last model year that the body type was offered and it is that much scarcer.

The photo below is of beautifully restored '33 roadster pickup which is very similar to the '34 except for the hood sides and details of the radiator sh*ll (and yes, that orange color was an Ford option for commercial vehicles for a number of years).

This message was edited by 3w2 on 2-21-15 @ 5:30 PM

Fuimus    -- 02-22-2015 @ 7:35 AM
  I now understand and agree that the truck is a '34. Not being a V8 Expert, I (and the owner) were constantly reviewing against the Model 18, 40, etc and not against the Model B on which it is based.

Thank you for the '33 pic. it is beautiful.

So now we will decide the next chapter in this car's long life.

1932BB    -- 02-22-2015 @ 9:09 AM
  In the book "Ford Trucks Since 1903" by James K. Wagner, he indicates on page 118 that only 347 Open cab trucks were made in 1934. This would include big trucks, so the number of roadster pickups would be a smaller number. Rare indeed!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=8232