Topic: Proper Starting Procedure-Model B

Bud 32B    -- 02-10-2010 @ 12:59 PM
  What is the proper procedure for cranking a Model B? Mine seems to flood really easy, making starting difficult and taxing on the battery. Also fuel drips out of the throat of the carb when it it shut down.
Finally, it lacks an air cleaner, any good ones out there that won't aggravate my hard starting?

CharlieStephens    -- 02-10-2010 @ 2:05 PM
  Be sure the ignition is turned OFF. Use the hand crank to turn the engine approximately one turn while someone is holding the choke open. Alternatively many choke levers have a small hole that you can attach a wire to and hold the choke open yourself from the front of the car. Pull the gas knob out about 1/2 inch. Place the crank at the 6 o'clock position. NEVER try to start the car with the crank while pushing down. NEVER wrap your thumb around the crank. If you ignore me and the engine backfires you will understand why I mentioned the two proceeding items. Turn on the ignition. If your car is running properly you should be able to pull the crank rapidly up and the car will start. If it doesn't start on the up pull do not continue with a downward push. Remove the hand crank and reinsert it so you can again pull up. If you are lazy and want to use the electric starter I suggest you use the "when all else fails read the instructions" approach. Reproductions are available for about $6. To start the car be sure the ignition is turned OFF. Basically pull out the throttle about 1/2 inch, pull out the choke and hold it out while cranking the car. Release the choke when it starts. Usually it is not necessary to use choke when the engine is warm (this will flood car). If fuel drips out when you shut the car off you need to clean out or rebuild the carburetor. Books on rebuilding the Model A carburetor usually have a chapter on the Model B carburetor. Sorry I can't help you on the air cleaner. Probably most cars run without the air cleaner. The air cleaner was the hardest part to find for my car.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 2-10-10 @ 2:08 PM

1932BB    -- 02-14-2010 @ 7:10 PM
  For an air cleaner, try an K&N Item RC-1890. Works for me!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=786