Topic: Model A Ford Brakes

Gail Rodda    -- 06-30-2013 @ 12:32 PM
  I have replaced almost every thing on my brakes I put on woven linings & had the shoes arced to the drums & adjusted brake rods. I have a good pedal but poor brakes. A friend of mine told me i should be able to slide all 4 wheels. when applying the brakes the csr just rolls to a stop. Gail rodda gdrodda@yahoo.com

Gail Rodda

woodiewagon46    -- 06-30-2013 @ 3:05 PM
  Did you contour the brake shoes to the drums? Sometimes the new brake shoes only touch the drums on a high spot, you want the shoes to touch the entire drum.

Gail Rodda    -- 06-30-2013 @ 5:34 PM
  Yes I had the shoes arked to the drums. I built up the backing plates where the shoes ride on them. I replaced the rollers & pins, replaced all of the bushings & the shafts on the rear, put a floater kit on the front. I shimed the rod that goes through the spindle bolt so the lever is pointing forward as far as I can. I hope some one has an answer. Gail

Gail Rodda

woodiewagon46    -- 07-01-2013 @ 2:55 PM
  Did you check the brake rod length? If they are too long you won't get proper tension when you apply the brakes. The Model A has a simple brake system, are you using new brake drums?

Gail Rodda    -- 07-01-2013 @ 3:39 PM
  I locked all of the brakes with the adjuster then with the cross shaft on the stop I adjusted all of the brake rods so the pin would just go in,No I don't have new drums. It seams to stop better when backing.

Gail Rodda

This message was edited by Gail Rodda on 7-1-13 @ 3:43 PM

supereal    -- 07-01-2013 @ 3:59 PM
  I had several Model A's, and adjusted them by blocking the brake pedal halfway down, and with the adjuster on the backing plates fully backed off, adjust the clevis on each rod to each wheel so the pin fits the lever without resistance. Remove the blocking from the pedal and with each wheel raised off the ground, turn the adjuster on the backing plate until the lining just touches the drum. Don't attempt to adjust the brakes with the rods. It results in uneven application of the linings. This method synchronizes the the cross shaft so no one wheel prevents full application of the brakes. I could slide the wheels in a panic stop using this method.

woodiewagon46    -- 07-02-2013 @ 3:03 PM
  Gail, first thing I would do is make sure all your brake rods are the correct length. I haven't played with a Model A in a while but I know if the brakes are adjusted properly they should work fine. Next I would jack up the car so that all 4 wheels are off the ground. Turn in the adjusting wedge until the wheel drags and back it off 2 or 3 turns. After you have done this get in the car and press on the brake pedal. Get back under and see how they feel now and readjust the drag. Brake adjustment should be done when the brakes are cold. It sounds to me that only one or two wheels are grabbing and thats why it won't stop, thats why I want you to check the brake rod length. This is a very simple system and I'M sure we can talk you through this!

3w2    -- 07-02-2013 @ 9:26 PM
  For starters, are you asking about a Model A or '32 Model B? There's a considerable difference in the two brake systems.

If it is a true Model A, perhaps this site isn't the optimum site to pose the question as there are sites devoted exclusively to the Model A.

Gail Rodda    -- 07-04-2013 @ 5:45 PM
  I will tell you what I found with my model A brakes.I built up the front brake shaft that goes through the spindle bolt untill the brake lever is angled as far forward as I could get it. I jacked the car up and tightened the brakes untill they were locked. Then made sure the cross shaft was at the stop. Then adjusted all of the brake rods when pulling the rod tward the cross shaft the pin would just slip in. Then readjusted the the brakes. That seamed to fix them. I think they are getting better the more I use them.

Gail Rodda

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=6252