Topic: Fuel brass Chinese finger pull?

32v8    -- 11-24-2011 @ 8:56 AM
  Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving.

My question is on the fuel pickup assembly on my 32 Ford there is a brass wire part that resembles a Chinese finger pull. It is not very long and I don't recall ever seeing one before.

I assume it was installed at assembly and was for the purpose of vapor retention to prevent fire.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Jack

CharlieStephens    -- 11-24-2011 @ 9:09 AM
  I have had '32 Fords for forty years and cannot remember the part you are describing. Maybe I don't understand your description. How about a photo?

Charlie Stephens

supereal    -- 11-26-2011 @ 9:46 AM
  I haven't seen one either, Charlie. It is is attached to the end of the pickup tube in the fuel tank, I would assume it is a sort of filter designed to catch debris in the fuel, a problem not uncommon back then. Today's vehicles usually have a "sock" over the pickup which is a part of the fuel pump assembly. They don't seem to cause any problems, and can be accessed when the pump is pulled from the tank. I don't know how the device could be accessed in an old car tank for inspecion and cleaning.

32v8    -- 11-28-2011 @ 8:30 PM
  Thanks for your responses.

The chinese finger pull was on the fuel tank pickup, outside the tank. I just do not remember how if was fastened. My recollection, it was on the vent tube.

Sorry, I do not know how to post pictures. Maybe I can get someone to educate me.

A second question, does anyone know the story of the cast iron tail light stands with duolamp cast into the stand upright? They are same left or right but have a threaded knipple with set screw to lock.

Thanks

Jack

TomO    -- 11-29-2011 @ 10:29 AM
  To post pictures, the picture should be on your computer and you should know the folder and file name. Then

Click on Reply
Look for "Image Attachment"
Click on the "Choose File" or "Browse" box and select the photo and open it.

You can only post 1 photo per reply. To post multiple photos, see the topic under General Ford Discussion.

Tom

jim5618    -- 11-30-2011 @ 7:33 PM
  Do you mean the loop by the screwdriver in this picture?

http://jrodda.smugmug.com/Cars/henrysB/14423836_VnwSR7#1240305513_ZGjgU-A-LB

32v8    -- 12-08-2011 @ 6:31 PM
  Greetings

Attached (?) please find the Chinese finger pull I have talked about. It is almost exactly 6" in length.

Thank you

Jack

3w2    -- 12-08-2011 @ 8:28 PM
  Interesting, but not something that originally was part of the fuel gauge tank unit. The purpose of it is not evident.

David

jim5618    -- 12-09-2011 @ 6:33 PM
  The pipe that comes up there on mine is just a ventilation tube. The larger of the two tubes going forward it the fuel line and the smaller is the gas guage. These look like they were both cut off on yours.

Stroker    -- 12-10-2011 @ 3:39 PM
  This is a real "SWAG"* on my part: The woven copper tube appears to be a static discharge device.
All aircraft use these, and they are generally installed on the trailing edge of the wing. The idea is that they will "bleed" electrical charges away from the fuel tank to prevent arcing. I've never seen anything like this on an early Ford, but we used to have pavement dragging carbon-impregnated rubber straps in the southwest in the 50's to do the same thing.

Most 30's to 50's era fuel tanker trucks bled static with a chain and outer bearing race bouncing along the pavement in the southwest for the same reason. Just a "SWAG"* Perhaps this 32 came from the Southwest. The very low humidity made for lots-O-shocks and arcs.

*SWAG=Systematic Wild-Assed-Guess!

32v8    -- 12-13-2011 @ 6:37 AM
  Thanks Stroker

My original thought was as you suggested. The subject car has been in Oklahoma all it's existance as far as I know.

Incidently, don't miners use something similar to prevent underground explosions?

As pointed out the fuel sender, pickup pictured is not the one the Chinese finger pull was on but showed how I remembered it on the original complete unit.

Thanks for the replies on my question.

Jack

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=4016