Topic: I think I have it correct........

jim5618    -- 08-23-2011 @ 8:09 PM
  OK...lots of reading. I think I am correct in the early vs late status of parts on my car? The number is 5085xxx which I peg as late May or early june.

I have the starter on the dash, the early muffler hanger (from the top), the Vacuum comes off the back of the intake manifold.

I have an accessory switch in the bottom of the dash insert. Did the change in the dash light coincide with the switch of the starter to the floor? Seems the dash light is easier to find than a plug, but also seems like it would be obviously wrong without the starter on the floor?

Dave...help....

3w2    -- 08-25-2011 @ 2:29 PM
  Jim,

Yes, the addition of the dash light switch was coincident with the change in starter switches (and starter switch controls). Based on what you've explained and the photos that you've take, your car was likely the earlier version of the starter motor, starter switch, column-mounted starter control, and plug button in the center hole in the instrument panel and not one with a foot-operated starter switch and dash light in the center lower hole in the instrument panel.

The plug button is a common part readily available today, but of course not with a chrome-plated, engine-turned finish, which can be created.

jim5618    -- 08-26-2011 @ 7:36 AM
  One of the items that seems to date the car fairly closely {I think} is the rear vacuum on the manifold. Wasn't there only a month or so where the rear vacuum hook up would be found on a car with the early starter setup? That was one of the main things I am trying to confirm is correct on the car.

Thanks again!

CharlieStephens    -- 08-26-2011 @ 9:16 AM
  Jim,

They made a lot of those "early" manifolds but I don't have the numbers. Either they had a lot in stock or they forgot to change the design and reorder the new style. They could be used so there probably wasn't a big priority to make the change. In reality it might have been cheaper to have never made the change. Have you checked "The Early Ford V8 Book"?

Charlie Stephens

3w2    -- 08-27-2011 @ 6:47 PM
  Jim,

The running change of the relocation of the vacuum line attachment point from the front of the intake manifold to the rear of the manifold was completed with engine #5069693 on May 9, 1932 (Page 1-7). So, the majority of B engines were built with intake manifolds with the vacuum line attachment at the rear of the manifold, like yours.

The first B engine equipped with the new starter motor that was part of the change to a foot-operated starter switch (and adoption of a dash light switch on B instrument panels) was #5143262 produced on July 26, 1932 (Page 1-8). So, there was 11 1/2 weeks of four-cylinder engine production (nearly 74,000 engines) that were equipped with both hand-controlled starter switches and the revised intake manifold and the vehicles that they were installed in had plug buttons in the center hole in their instrument panels.

The total number is even higher because the phase-in of the revised intake manifold began before #5069693 and the phase-in of the revised starter motor, etc. only began with #5143262.

Getting back to your original question, given your car's engine number, you need to think in terms of a plug button for the center hole in your instrument panel, not a dash light switch.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=3653