Topic: Clueless transmission question.....

jim5618    -- 07-01-2011 @ 6:27 AM
  OK what is this rope looking thing for? Is there supposed to be oil in this thing? If so, how do I empty it and measure it.

NOTE: It looks messy on the outside because I have been cleaning the hardened grease off with degreaser.

Stroker    -- 07-01-2011 @ 9:08 AM
  The "rope looking thing" appears to be what remains of the hose that would have been connected to
a grease cup on the clutch inspection plate that you have removed. It's purpose was to supply grease to the clutch throw-out bearing. There should be no oil in the area of the clutch, and it's current wet appearance would indicate a leaking rear crankshaft seal. Replacement throw-out bearings are generally pre-greased and sealed. The area inside the clutch housing should be dry.

CharlieStephens    -- 07-01-2011 @ 9:55 AM
  Don't try to replace the crankshaft seal. Unless someone has made some upgrades there is not a seal (at least on the 4 cyl). Is your car a 4 or 8?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-1-11 @ 9:57 AM

3w2    -- 07-01-2011 @ 9:43 PM
  Jim,

Stroker is right in expressing his concern about what shows in your photo of your Model B clutch inspection opening. The degree of oily wetness that shows suggests that your clutch disc has been compromised and on a '32 there is only one way to access the clutch and that is by pulling the engine out of the car. Once a clutch disc has absorbed oil or grease, it cannot be cleaned to prevent it from slipping, but rather it must be replaced.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

David

supereal    -- 07-02-2011 @ 11:15 AM
  More often than not, finding the clutch housing full of oil (as well as the clutch, itself) is the result of overfilling the crankcase. The rear crankshaft often does not have a seal, as such, but a "slinger" and baffle. Some engines have a drain tube on the rear main bearing cap, as well, that can become plugged. As engines have often been swapped over the years, it isn't possible to be specific. If your engine does not have an oil filter, install only four quarts of oil. Many manuals state five quarts, which is incorrect, regardless of what they say. Check the dipstick after 4 quarts, and mark it if it is incorrect.

jim5618    -- 07-04-2011 @ 7:16 PM
  As I mentioned above, the "wet" look on the transmission cover is water and degreaser from trying to remove hard tar like coating on the transmission. I took a break form that and took off the cover to see what was in there. i did discover the grease mecanism. I have no idea if the tube is intact enough to be functional.

jim5618    -- 07-04-2011 @ 7:29 PM
  inside looks less wet in this one

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=3318