Topic: Q: 1.93m (6.2 f) tall person in 34 Ford Roadster

fordson    -- 01-12-2011 @ 2:01 PM
  Howdy, yes its a stupid Question, but does a 1,93m (6.2 foot) person fit in a 1934 ford roadster? Is it possible to move the bench further back (removing the canopy),or do alterations to the cars body without mangling the car?
Unfortunately its not possible to trial sit !
Regards Randolf

trjford8    -- 01-13-2011 @ 7:56 PM
  It all depends on the length of your legs. I would suggest that you can shorten the depth of the package shelf which will allow the backrest to move further back in the cab of the car. The bottom cushion sits on a wood frame so it can easily be moved back on the floor pan.

supereal    -- 01-14-2011 @ 10:24 AM
  Some of the early 30's cars were mostly designed for the typical height of the population, about 5-8. To accomodate larger owners, there was an accessory called a "fat man's steering wheel" to provide extra room. I had several Model A's, and it took some doing to get my six foot carcass into the seat. I sold one to a huge man, and it required his diminutive wife to drive it home! Due to the balooning of America, "supersizing" has become necessary for an increasing number of articles, including caskets!

fordson    -- 01-14-2011 @ 11:29 PM
  Hello everybody,

"trjford8" ive got long legs, iam not so much fat but tall, just a big guy.

"superreal", id love to have a fat mans steering wheel, can you get them anywhere?
If you can do it, i should be able to do it as well.

I thought about shortening the panel between the rumble seat (cutting and rewelding) refitting the convertible mechanism further back and extending the metal bars of the canopy attaching to the front window frame.

I read there were only 5200 cars produced of the 34 roadster, so its a once in a lifetime chance. Custom seats shouldnt be a problem and moving back the bench having made the padding thinner surely neds to be done in order to obtain a comfortable ride. Question is if that will be enough before cutting the metal. And will the Canvas top still have space?

I have alwas dreamt about a roadster and dont want to let this car go without a fight.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
Regards Randolf

supereal    -- 01-15-2011 @ 10:04 AM
  Randolph: The "fat man's wheel" is rare today, It is actually a smaller diameter wheel. While they did provide more room, they made steering more difficult because of the reduced leverage. The easiset way I can recommend for increasing seat room is to remodel the springs and padding of the seat. We used the LeBaron-Bonney kits in our early cars, and they were very thick, compared to later cars. I suspect that cutting the interior in a roadster will interfere with stowing the top. If you have a good auto trim shop in your area, they may be able to suggest alternative seating.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-23-2011 @ 5:58 AM
  if you are buying the car,
I am sure the owner selling would let you sit in it,
you mean to tell me you cannot sit in it,?
does not sound right to me,
37RAGTOPMAN and KEEP on FORDIN,,,,!!!!

supereal    -- 01-25-2011 @ 12:30 PM
  Sitting in a car and driving it comfortably can be two separate situations. I like some cars, such as the early T-Birds, but my aging frame won't allow me to drive a car with my legs straight out in front of me. In most cases, I wouldn't consider buying a car that can't be driven before the deal is done unless I am familiar with the model, and just want parts.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=2433