Topic: 1939 Delux Hubcaps

v8NUT    -- 11-23-2010 @ 7:28 PM
  I have some decent but not perfect 39 Delux hubcaps. How do I get the stainless skins off to hammer out the minor dings and scr*pes without distorting the stainless rim? It looks like once they are popped on to the hubcap sh*ll it is hard to get them off without damage. Any suggestions? Jim

ford38v8    -- 11-23-2010 @ 8:19 PM
  I've not done it, but I understand that compressed air will blow them off with a hole drilled behind.

Alan

Stroker    -- 11-24-2010 @ 7:08 AM
  V8NUT:

Alan's suggestion would probably work, I was able to ease my 38 cap stainless by just patiently
working around the edge with a sharpened putty knife and a small square stick for a fulcrum. I was only able to lift it about .050" at a time, but it came off without spreading the "crimp" that retains it. An interesting bonus was that I discovered a pristine example of my original Desert Sand paint underneath, as apparently on a 38, the caps were painted body color, and then the stainless was snapped on.

v8NUT    -- 11-25-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  Thanks guys. I will try both methods and let you know how it works out. Jim

kubes40    -- 11-27-2010 @ 5:42 AM
  I place a small hole in the back and use compressed air. When repainting the metal cap, keep the paint thin in the area where the stainless will be reassembled. Especially the LIP area.

v8NUT    -- 11-29-2010 @ 4:01 PM
  I tried the compressed air trick and it worked great! It was kinda exciting tho'. One thing I learned is that the stainless steel cap is real close to the surface of the main body so you need to be very careful you don't drill through both of them. Thanks again, Jim

Also, thanks for the painting tip.

39 Ken    -- 11-30-2010 @ 6:28 AM

Be careful not to distort the edge of the stainless cap as you repair it. When buffing, don't get it real hot. Any distortion will make it difficult to replace the cap evenly on the main part of the hub cap. I have placed the main part of the hub cap in the freezer and warmed the stainless part in hot water which makes the pairing of the two relatively easy. Also, and I don't know if this helps but it's what I do; when doing more than one, make sure you replace the stainless cap with the same hubcap that it came from.

fordmerc    -- 01-13-2011 @ 1:38 PM
  Any more ideas on how to get the stainless skins off? The air trick worked on 2 of 6. One had been distorted by previous attempt at removal (not me!)and thus came off with a little push. Others are either dented, or rusted. (PB Blast hasn't helped yet.)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=2225