Topic: brake adjustment

MICHV8    -- 08-25-2024 @ 4:00 PM
  My driver rear is not adjusting properly...the shoe drags every revolution and turning the square adjustment did not fix it. So I pulled the hub and watched as I turned the square adjuster... the top shoe moves up, but then retreats. The bottom shoe moves down slightly and then retreats. The adjustment mechanism is riveted to the backing plate and I hesitate to drill the rivets. Photo shows that there is a discrepancy in the initial position of the two shoes...do I live with it?

3w2    -- 08-25-2024 @ 6:08 PM
  The movements that you describe when turning the square shank adjustment bolt are normal.

Since you have drum/hub removed, I would pull the shoes out of the top housing to check their condition where they fit up against the adjustment bolt.

MICHV8    -- 08-26-2024 @ 7:27 AM
  will do, but I want to understand. When I turn the square adjuster, the shoe should reposition and remain in the new position, correct?
If so, then what I'm looking for is a badly worn shoe where it contacts the adjuster insert, correct?
Thanks

3w2    -- 08-26-2024 @ 5:11 PM
  Once you see the business end of the threaded adjustment stud you will understand what is taking place when you tighten or loosen the stud, It has has grooves on the tapered end so when you tun it the brake shoes will move outward and than retreat into the next groove. But the shoes are moving in or out consistent with the pitch of the threads. Perhaps a bit more patience is called for.

MICHV8    -- 08-27-2024 @ 4:57 AM
  ok...can I simply remove the adjuster bolt without removing the brake shoes or will that prevent the insertion of the adjuster stud?
And to be clear, the brake shoes simply retreat to their original standing position no matter how many turns of the adjuster bolt are applied. In other words, there is no adjustment of the brake shoes relative position prior to turning the adjustment bolt...it is ineffective. Thanks for helping!

This message was edited by MICHV8 on 8-27-24 @ 5:01 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=17195