Topic: brake light switch

MICHV8    -- 08-25-2024 @ 3:54 PM
  I had to remove the engine and trans for some work and everything is back in place, but the spring from the brake that retracts the pin on the switch and closes the circuit is not 100% reliable. The circuit sometimes stays closed after the brake pedal is released. Someone prior to me had run a wire from the rear bolt on the shift tower to the spring effectively creating an angle in the spring and its approach to the pin. It seems the switch internal spring and the retraction spring are in a delicate balance. I am attempting to duplicate the prior effort, but it seems an awkward solution... any advice?
Thanks!

3w2    -- 08-25-2024 @ 6:15 PM
  A single spring of the original length should not require a helperspring.

MICHV8    -- 08-26-2024 @ 7:31 AM
  it is more of the angle of the spring at the point of contact to the brake switch pin. It is enough of an angle that the pin is not allowed to move in and out perpendicular to the switch housing and there might be friction where the pin exits the switch housing...I will take a good photo.

trjford8    -- 08-26-2024 @ 7:39 AM
  I'm not a '32 expert, but the spring should line up with the rod in the switch for a direct pull.

3w2    -- 08-26-2024 @ 5:16 PM
  "Should" and "is" aren't always the same.

It sounds like the gentlemen is missing a special washer with two holes in it that handles the off angle of the spring.

MICHV8    -- 08-27-2024 @ 4:51 AM
  not sure this show the angle from the brake pin to the brake switch pin, but it is there and seems an impediment to proper brake switch functioning. I will look to find the special washer which would be a relief in more ways than one!
Thanks for the help.

MICHV8    -- 08-27-2024 @ 7:37 AM
  here is a photo and I can fabricate the special washer, but I doubt that my brake pedal pin is long enough to ensure a straight shot to the brake switch pin...

MICHV8    -- 08-28-2024 @ 8:11 AM
  Does anyone know what function the washer B-13514 serves? The spring could connect to the brake pin...

3w2    -- 08-28-2024 @ 2:20 PM
  The hole in the pedal-to-lever pin is for a cotter pin, not for the end of the brake light switch spring. That special washer installed on that pin inside where the cotter pin fits serves as an attachment point for the brake light switch spring.

Judging from your photo, your spring is too long and too big in diameter.

What I cannot tell from your photo is whether or not you have one of the good original equipment switches or one of the seriously inferior aftermarket switches. The former has brass bushings for the switch rod to travel in. The latter has no bushings, only steel-on-steel contact between the switch rod and the switch housing.

Thanks for including a photo from my book. Trust me, with experience with more than 30 different '32s, the switch with brass bushings will work just fine with the spring at an angle with the special washer and the correct spring.

3w2    -- 08-28-2024 @ 3:51 PM
  if you have a copy of the Club's '32 Ford book, please refer to the full page photo on page 4-46 which clearly shows the spring at an angle to the rod of the switch.

MICHV8    -- 08-31-2024 @ 1:37 PM
  Thanks DR...I believe the switch is original. When I received the car, the spring was on the way my earlier photo shows with a wire creating an angle to the brake switch. After trying different springs, I put it back the way I found it and it is working, but I will fabricate a special washer like the original with a shorter spring. I'm guessing the washer was to accommodate any pitch difference from the brake pin to the switch pin which makes sense.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=17194