Topic: Unusual 32 Ford v/8 drs. cyl. head position

nwjm    -- 05-20-2024 @ 5:35 PM
  After painting the drs. cyl. head I set it on the block & noticed just that head sat about 1/2 " lower at the rear. The bottom of both heads sat in line with the block , as it should. I tried another head - same. The pass. head sat perfect. Any ideas? See pics. A puzzler?

3w2    -- 05-21-2024 @ 10:54 AM
  Typical for '32 heads. You might want to check to ensure that the water passage openings line up with those in the cylinder block, but I'm confident that they will.

P.S. If you are keen on originality, the absence of paint on the top of the block is a '33+ characteristic. There's well documented proof in Ford's archives that the top of the '32 blocks were painted on top using a mask with the same outline as the edges of the intake manifold.

nwjm    -- 05-21-2024 @ 11:24 AM
  Thanks, I will use masking tape 1/4" inside of the outer part of the holes then paint the top of the block green. That makes sense as it would be visible

kubes40    -- 05-21-2024 @ 5:18 PM
  Dave, While I'm not a "32 guy", I am a Rehor fan and as such, always read your responses and learn.
Would you please explain why the head appears to fit so poorly? What was going on back then?
Were cast heads correct?
Thank you.

Mike

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

3w2    -- 05-21-2024 @ 8:52 PM
  Mike,

That's a good question, but I have no idea why the top edge of the '32 left hand cylinder heads appear to fade fro front to back. And the "why"is unlikely to be noted on the original engineering drawing. They fit fine and there's no particular excess of head gasket protruding beyond the left head compared to the right head. Still, there is a fading away with the top of the left heads.

kubes40    -- 05-22-2024 @ 6:50 AM
  Thank you David.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

nwjm    -- 05-22-2024 @ 8:44 PM
  Mike, thanks for asking. David, thanks for your response. I also wondered. It must have been a tremendous challenge to intrduce the v/8 in just a short time. It also makes a great conversation starter ! Norm

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=17051