Topic: General questions on 32

ethacker    -- 06-17-2010 @ 11:05 AM
  This may have come up many times but I couldn't find it referenced.

What engine oil should I use in my original 32 V8 if it is driven maybe 100 miles per year?

Should I be putting lead additive in my gas?

Thanks!

Eric in San Jose

trjford8    -- 06-17-2010 @ 8:23 PM
  Eric, I would recommend 20-50 weight and preferably Castrol. No need to use a lead additive as you will not drive it enough to have a problem. You might add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas as it will lubricate the valve train.

ethacker    -- 06-18-2010 @ 8:37 AM
  Thanks. I've read in many places that I should use racing oil, as it has zinc in it while today's oils all phased out zinc. I've seen recommendations for Pennzoil racing oil and Valvoline VR-1 racing oil. Any thoughts?

trjford8    -- 06-18-2010 @ 9:26 PM
  There has been many articles written about the new oils in numerous magazines including the V-8 Times. The jury is still out on this zinc issue. You will get as many opinions as you will articles on this subject. If you are worried about zinc you can use Chevron Delo or Sh*ll Rotella. Both have zinc and would probably be cheaper than racing oil.Both can be bought at Walmart or automotive stores.

supereal    -- 06-21-2010 @ 7:25 PM
  I agree with Tom. The whole zinc thing has been blown out of proportion, probably to sell additives and special oils. Zinc is important in modern engines with high revs and stiff valve trains, particularly the now popular multicam OHV types, but not in our old slow revving engines with lots of clearance and non-hydraulic lifters. If you are not convinced, simply use Sh*ll Rotella oil, such as 15W40. It is formulated for diesel use, and does contain plenty of zinc. As the drive to lower exhaust emissions gets hotter (no pun), oil has been reformulated, mostly to protect the cat converters. We are now even dealing with urea solution injection in big trucks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=1404