Topic: Diamond block

jim1932    -- 08-18-2017 @ 4:23 AM
  So I am having a Diamond Block rebuild for my Model B. Does judging care a) that it is a diamond block, b) that it is stamped with a model A number. If I decide to "erase" the number what is the easiest way? can I just fill it with JB weld or Bondo?

CharlieStephens    -- 08-18-2017 @ 12:06 PM
  I think I would remove the Model A number, it sort of jumps out as being wrong. I assume your car is registered with the correct number on the frame. You might be able to do it with the right punch to leave the correct as-cast finish but I think I would practice first on another block, or your other two suggestions should work. I doubt a judge would notice the diamond or casting date on the block unless you are in a very competitive show where the person whose car is below yours in points might point it out to a judge. You might practice removing them with a rubber abrasive wheel on a Dremel tool but you will still have a small ghost where they were removed. Practice first. If it was mine, I would leave the diamond and date.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-18-17 @ 5:19 PM

3w2    -- 08-19-2017 @ 8:19 PM
  A reasonably observant judge would notice the Model A number on the side of the block. Fill it in, sand it , smooth, spray a little paint on it, sprinkle it with some iron filings while the paint is still wet, and paint it again. Judges will normally not deduct for diamond blocks even if they notice.

P.S. Experienced V8 Club deputy judges do not let other '32 owners with cars also being judged enter into the discussion of judging cars other than their own.

jim1932    -- 08-22-2017 @ 12:23 PM
  The car is Titled based on the original (I believe) number on the frame and on the the bell housing. The original motor does not have a number stamped on the block. If I fill in the number the only indicator the the new motor is a diamond block (to the casual eye) would be the raised diamond above the fuel pump. I do have the Diamond head, but not planning on running it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=11102