Topic: Ele trick fuel pump

8cylflathead    -- 05-20-2017 @ 7:54 AM
  Some time recently read article regarding a person recommending a fool proof electric 6v pump can't find the article can you help

ken ct.    -- 05-20-2017 @ 9:26 AM
  If you install a properly rebuilt mechanical pump on there you wont need an electric one. OMO ken ct.

sarahcecelia    -- 05-20-2017 @ 10:19 AM
  Even a new or properly built fuel pump won't work with vapor lock. Put an electric on from Mac's or Fifth Avenue Garage in Clay Center, kansas city.

ken ct.    -- 05-20-2017 @ 1:28 PM
  Your assuming every ford in the world has vapor lock. NOT so. ken ct.

TomO    -- 05-21-2017 @ 7:05 AM
  Vapor lock occurs when the fuel boils. Keeping proper pressure on the line to the carburetor prevents boiling in that line and the fuel in the fuel pump sediment bowl is cooled by fresh fuel coming from the tank. A good fuel pump will prevent vapor lock under most conditions, including desert temperatures.

Most "vapor lock" problems are not vapor lock. To determine if you are having a fuel supply problem, you must look down the bowl of the carburetor and operate the accelerator to see if you are getting 2 strong streams of fuel.

Fuel supply problems can be caused by a clogged fuel line, deteriorated flex line, worn push rod, incorrect gas cap, a vacuum leak in the supply side of the fuel pump or a weak fuel pump.

Just because your engine cuts out or dies when the outside temperatures are high does not mean the you have vapor lock. It could be a fuel supply problem or a weak spark problem.

An electric fuel pump added in the supply line can cause a vacuum leak the will make it harder for your mechanical pump to supply fuel.

If you install an electric fuel pump, install it near the tank with steel lines that have the ferrules soldered to the line, to prevent vacuum leaks. Use a momentary switch or an oil pressure switch to control the pump.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-21-17 @ 7:10 AM

ken ct.    -- 05-21-2017 @ 8:09 AM
  Thank you Tom O. for your additional comments. ken ct.

wmsteed    -- 05-21-2017 @ 8:57 AM
  In my humble opinion the addition of an electric fuel pump, as a backup for the mechanical pump, to ease starting after a vehicle has been sitting for several days/weeks and to eliminate the possibility of a vapor lock is like carrying a spare tire when all of the tires on the vehicle are new or near new.
Of course I'm the kind of a guy that carriers a spare fan belt, and wears a belt and suspenders on my trousers.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

TomO    -- 05-22-2017 @ 8:47 AM
  Bill, I carry a spare fuel pump, coil and flex line in my trunk where they belong with my spare tire. I don't like to deal with the problems caused by extra connections in the fuel supply line.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=10772