Topic: Dual distributor problems

ethacker    -- 10-22-2016 @ 1:06 PM
  Is there anyone near San Jose California that might be able to do an on-site consultation?

I've been having trouble getting my 32 model 18 started. It used to run like a top. Less than 100 miles ago I had someone completely updated the electrical system and get the distributor humming. It ran great and started every time. Last summer I couldn't get it started And I thought it might've been the fuel pump so I rebuilt that but never got it to start. This summer I tried to start it again with new gas and when I poured some gas into the carburetor as I cranked it it started to fire but never started. then it stopped starting to fire. I checked and I wasn't getting spark to the spark plugs with the coil looked good and I replaced the condenser but still nothing. I suspect is a distributor problem. But I've exhausted my level of capability so I wanted to see if someone else might be able to try to debug. Please send me an email if you can. Thanks!

carcrazy    -- 10-22-2016 @ 8:51 PM
  If you are sure you have no spark to the plugs, here are some things you can do:
Check the gap of the points to see if they are opening
Check to make sure the brush in the bottom of the coil is making contact with the rotor
Make sure you have voltage to the coil when the ignition switch is turned on
If once you get spark to the plugs and the engine still refuses to fire, the plugs are fouled and need to be replaced.

TomO    -- 10-25-2016 @ 9:04 AM
  There is a very active Regional Group in the San Jose area. You could try contacting them for onsite help.

Until you get some help, Get a voltmeter and connect the red or + lead to the input of the coil and the black or COM lead to ground, with the ignition switch on, now tap the starter button to move the engine a short distance at a time. The meter should move from battery voltage to about 2.8 volts. If it does, your coil is making contact with the points and the points are opening and closing.

If the above test passes, and you still do not have spark, remove the coil and replace the condenser with a new one from NAPA or another reliable source.

If that doesn't fix it, come back to this topic and update it with the results of your tests.

Tom

gcraigstep    -- 05-12-2017 @ 5:05 PM
  Tom

I'm having the same problem. I inherited my fathers 40' pickup and have no spark at the plugs. He had it 18 years and I don't know the last time it was started. I have a meter on the coil and it reads right around 1 vdc at all times whether I crank it or not.

Craig

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=10191