Topic: WANTED: Vehicle for Bakersfield Meet

VT/JeffH    -- 08-13-2016 @ 9:52 AM
  Hi Everyone, I just got back from the Eastern National Meet in Gettysburg yesterday, and I really had A LOT OF FUN.

I think my itch isn't quite scratched yet. If I can get together with our National Directors, Officers and wonderful members again this year, I'm gonna go for it.

I live in the DC area and am flying out of Baltimore to California for the Western National Meet in Bakersfield in just about eight weeks. My registration check goes out Monday morning. (I may have my road buddy John M. with me; I'll have to get working on convincing him because he already drove his car to the Central and Eastern Nationals this year.)

So... I have a request. I know this is a big ask, but I'd love to have someone lend me a car or truck to use and take care of during the meet. Please ask around about my character. I'll be treating it exactly like it deserves to be treated, better even than if it were my own. I'm always looking after other folk's vehicles at these meets anyway, loading and unloading, putting up windows and side curtains, helping with mechanical fixes and empty-trailer rescues.

Any running vehicle would do. An ideal match would be a '35 or '36. I have one of each, and JM has at least four '35's.

Please think about it, and if you have any ideas or want to talk, send me a P.M. (to the right of reply above) or email to horrocksj at comcast dot net. I'll provide a phone number to give you a chance to feel me out before making any kind of commitment.

I'm really looking forward to Bakersfield where we'll LET THE V-8's ROLL!

-VT/JeffH

EDIT TO ADD: I'm okay with paying for a trailer parking spot.

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 8-13-16 @ 2:32 PM

trjford8    -- 08-13-2016 @ 4:29 PM
  Jeff, looking forward to seeing both you and John at the meet. Hopefully someone in the Bakersfield area can help with your request. I'll volunteer to be your character reference. Tom Johnston

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-13-16 @ 4:31 PM

Model B    -- 08-15-2016 @ 7:00 AM
  I will vouch for Jeff AND John....they are real Characters!! LOL

Pat

nelsb01    -- 08-15-2016 @ 8:13 AM
  I can vouch for Jeff also. Jeff is a good worker --- have photos of him helping clean up at the very short 2015 Central National Meet in Brainerd. He knows how to handle a rake and broom. So, if you can't loan him the use of one of your spare vehicles, he could be helpful cleaning up around the garage. He also has multi-adapters so he can charge your phone, iPad, laptop, and others mobile devices that may need to be charged during power outages.
Just kidding of course --
As a person that had the privilege of using a loaned vehicle during the recent 2016 National Driving Tour of Western NY, I am forever grateful to the owner! Hopefully Jeff can find one.

JM    -- 08-21-2016 @ 6:43 PM
  Okay, I am now officially on the "GO" list for the '16 WNM, traveling with Jeff. Mailed my registration and check last Wednesday, so if all goes well, this will be the first time I have attended all three EFV-8 Club meets held in the same year. We have a couple other adventures planned for this trip as well. Going to TROG in Pismo Beach before the meet and H&H Flatheads after the meet. It would be super if we can arrange to use someones early V-8 around the Bakersfiield area and during the tours, but I guess that's a tall order to ask for. If that doesn't happen, maybe we can hitch a ride on the tours with someone in their early Ford V-8, or I guess last chouce will be to just drive our rental car which might happen be a Ford product . Hoping to see some of the West Coast V-8ers that I met at the St. George Utah WNM in 2010 or in Lake Tahoe during the GNM in 2013. Hope to see many of you there!

John

This message was edited by JM on 8-21-16 @ 6:46 PM

JM    -- 08-21-2016 @ 7:31 PM
  Delete duplicate post that always happens here when I click on the return button

John

This message was edited by JM on 8-23-16 @ 8:07 AM

Cecil/WV    -- 08-22-2016 @ 6:34 AM
  Okay, Jeff and John, how can you go all the way across the country to a national meet and not drive an old Ford???

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

nelsb01    -- 08-22-2016 @ 12:20 PM
  We want pictures too. I can see the first one.......
Two guys with the wind blowing in their faces ---- sitting on milk crates ---- one holding the GPS, and the other an old steering wheel.
Remember -- its the journey, not the destination!

JM    -- 08-23-2016 @ 7:58 AM
  Cecil, if we can borrow your Rouge '50 shoebox, or maybe ride out with you, that would be great! Jeff and I would be more than willing to split the cost of the gas

John

JM    -- 08-23-2016 @ 8:02 AM
  Delete duplicate post that always happens here when I click on the return button John

This message was edited by JM on 8-23-16 @ 8:06 AM

VT/JeffH    -- 08-23-2016 @ 2:28 PM
  Cecil said "Okay, Jeff and John, how can you go all the way across the country to a national meet and not drive an old Ford???"

Hi Everyone, Cecil, that's just about what we're trying to do, we have to get there in one day though.

We'd love something for the meet other than a rental Mustang or worse, yikes, a Rio, Versa, or Elantra, peeyew!

-VT/JeffH

Kens 36    -- 08-23-2016 @ 2:42 PM
  Jeff,

You can beg and plead all you want, but your odds of getting a Kia are much better than your odds of getting a Ford.

Thanks for the registrations.

Ken

VT/JeffH    -- 08-23-2016 @ 3:58 PM
  Ow. That hurts.

No really, I'm laughing out loud! You crack me up!

That's exactly why I've gotta catch a couple of flights and drive one of those POS's!

And no, don't even think I'm hauling any beer 26oo miles. Cecil and the RG36 Board and Members have something for the raffle room though.

-VT/JeffH

PS Hey, maybe I can do something in the tally room this meet? Then I can chase myself down to get forms signed! Carolyn will explain.

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 8-23-16 @ 4:07 PM

JM    -- 08-23-2016 @ 5:22 PM
  Cecil was this a trick question??.....Okay, Jeff and John, how can you go all the way across the country to a national meet and not drive an old Ford???.....if so, I give up

John

JM    -- 08-25-2016 @ 5:52 AM
  Here's what we have been offered as a loner vehicle so far, and we may want to enter this in the display class....

John

This message was edited by JM on 8-25-16 @ 11:59 AM

nelsb01    -- 08-25-2016 @ 7:16 AM
  John;
It has to be Ford powered to be on the concourse field.

Which rental car agency are you dealing with? I am already practicing my speech for the counter agent: "So, once again you are telling me that making a reservation is a waste of my time, since the vehicle I reserved is no where in the lot?"

This comment usually gets me the upgrade for the same price. I used to use Budget since online you could reserve a Lincoln Town Car -- just by looking under their special offers, and then claiming to be a "seasoned driver". Nice term for someone over 55.

If you fly into Vegas, there are rental agencies there that will rent you a 'classic'. The bad news is that your travel budget will be shot in one days rental, and they probably wont let you take it across state lines.

JM    -- 08-25-2016 @ 12:22 PM
  Bruce, last year while traveling in the UK, we had that rental car bait 'n switch pulled on us. We had signed up and paid for an all wheel drive van that would comfortably carry four people and all of our bags/luggage/equipment. When we checked in to pick this vehicle up there was no such thing on the lot. So we went out on their lot and found a beautiful 4x4 Land Rover fit for the King or Qween. You should have seen the jaws drop when we told them we wanted that for three weeks at the same price we had already paid. We were prepared to sit in the managers office and create the biggest scene that we could until they agreed to our terms. Long story short, we drove out of there in the Land Rover and traveled all over England and Scotland in that vehicle for 3 weeks.

John

This message was edited by JM on 8-25-16 @ 12:44 PM

nelsb01    -- 08-25-2016 @ 12:26 PM
  John.........
Any similarities between a Ford Explorer and a Land Rover are purely..................oh, that's right, Ford owned Land Rover.

JM    -- 08-25-2016 @ 12:38 PM
  Another picture. We were on an artifact/relic recovery mission of digging in farm fields, pastures, etc., and some days we were wet and muddy from head to toe while traveling in that beautiful Land Rover, but it was otherwise well cared for and clean as a whistle when we turned it back in . I am really hoping this story does not hurt our chances of finding an Early Ford V-8 to travel around in the Bakersfield area and also drive on the tours

John

This message was edited by JM on 8-25-16 @ 1:31 PM

WCW Robb    -- 08-25-2016 @ 9:52 PM
  Hi all. This is my first post, but some of you may know me. My name is Robb and I have helped out with the last 2 meets in Gettysburg. I'm the guy in the golf cart helping to park the trailers

I'm reading this post while laughing, thinking to myself, "I know these guys."

My wife and I were able to squeeze in some more vacation time, so we'll be seeing all of you in Bakersfield! As spectators this time, I believe.
We'll also be going to Pismo, so Jeff, we may see you there too.

Jeff, as you know I don't have an early Ford for you to borrow, but I will be driving my Ford motor home to keep with the theme of things. I'd like to bring my wagon, but I don't think it would tow very well

VT/JeffH    -- 08-26-2016 @ 6:51 AM
  Hi Everyone, Robb, great to see you here on the V-8 Forums! Robb is Willis Terrett's nephew and has the bug just like us! So, Robb, you're driving to Cali? You should have a lot to see and do along the way! Cool wagon, they're hot these days!

We're staying at the SeaCrest in Pismo on the 14th & 15th. Sorta pricey but we'll be near the action.

-VT/JeffH

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 8-26-16 @ 6:54 AM

WCW Robb    -- 08-26-2016 @ 10:15 AM
  I live in Oceanside, CA, just north of San Diego. We spend a lot of time in Pismo & Morro Bay, so nothing new for us to see. I'll be driving my rv and towing my Jeep to drive around in.
The Terretts may be flying out and going with us too. We talked for a while last night discussing the details.

-Robb

VT/JeffH    -- 08-26-2016 @ 11:13 AM
  Aha, Okay, I didn't catch it that you're from California.

I hope we can make time to hang together!

If Willis and Janice are coming, then they can relax a little at a V-8 meet finally. Willis was a leader in putting the two Gettysburg meets together, and is a leader in RG-36.

-VT/JeffH

VT/JeffH    -- 08-31-2016 @ 4:46 PM
  Still here beside the road with my thumb out.

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 8-31-16 @ 7:34 PM

Cecil/WV    -- 09-01-2016 @ 5:26 AM
  That doesn't look like your wife, Jeff?

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

nelsb01    -- 09-01-2016 @ 6:15 AM
  Jeff;
Here is a suggestion.
Hershey is coming up. Get there and find some cardboard and add a message to it --- something to the fact : need old Ford to get to California. Walk the fields and car corral. I am sure someone will help.
Then, drive it to California. When you get to California, just before you leave, sell the old Ford and use the money for airfare home. Save the long distance award though.
This is so easy and such a great idea, I don't know why others haven't suggested it.

And, I didn't realize that you had grown a mustache since Brainerd.

TomO    -- 09-01-2016 @ 9:57 AM
  Jeff,

You do look much better with the mustache and the fedora.

I hope that you have a good time at the WNM.

Tom

VT/JeffH    -- 09-01-2016 @ 9:12 PM
  That doesn't look like your wife, Jeff?

Shiny side up! Cecil/WA.

Not Wife, "traveling partner." Nice Legs, no Financial sense!

JM has minor issues, just great road buddy. Always has supplies, no carrots for us'ins!

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

VT/JeffH    -- 09-01-2016 @ 9:16 PM
  Jeff;
Here is a suggestion.
Hershey is coming up....

Thanks for the salt in the wound! Always helpful! No Hershey for me three years in a row. Bummer City!

Bonneville or Bust in 2017!

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

VT/JeffH    -- 09-03-2016 @ 4:25 PM
  Hi again Everyone. It's been suggested by the Club President that JM and I go halfsies on this and drive it at the meet and then back to Maryland! He's always trying to be helpful.

Looks like a nice one for Touring-A, with the juice brakes, duals, and goofy wheels, alternator.

Thanks Ken. You know I dig cars with red wire-ties on them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191958395587

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 9-3-16 @ 5:08 PM

VT/JeffH    -- 09-03-2016 @ 4:49 PM
  Pic 2

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

VT/JeffH    -- 09-03-2016 @ 4:49 PM
  Pic 3

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

VT/JeffH    -- 09-03-2016 @ 5:06 PM
  TomO said "Jeff, You do look much better with the mustache and the fedora."

Always working on my Q Factor.

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

JM    -- 09-06-2016 @ 7:51 PM
  Jeff, we may want to consider taking that old bicycle you bought last year at Iola

John

Kens 36    -- 09-11-2016 @ 5:55 PM
  Jeff & John - I think you have a loaner! E-mail me.

Ken

VT/JeffH    -- 09-13-2016 @ 12:38 PM
  Sorry I was asleep at the switch. Email anxiously sent!

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

VT/JeffH    -- 09-13-2016 @ 6:39 PM
  And reply received. Good news! This thing may be coming together. Fingers crossed! Thanks to the inter-web-universe, and our fabulous Club Members!

Stay tuned for updates. It may be a while because I don't wanna mess up the karma going on here.

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 9-13-16 @ 6:41 PM

nelsb01    -- 09-13-2016 @ 7:45 PM
  Jeff........
Don't you mean CAR-MA ??

JM    -- 09-14-2016 @ 6:25 AM
  Ken, thank you for your help and a huge thank you goes out to the fellow V-8er who is loaning us his car!!

John

This message was edited by JM on 9-14-16 @ 6:27 AM

JM    -- 09-14-2016 @ 9:30 AM

This message was edited by JM on 9-14-16 @ 3:23 PM

VT/JeffH    -- 10-12-2016 @ 7:53 PM
  Hi Everyone. Things have developed on my end where I'm not gonna make it. I'm disappointed, but there are bigger things in life that come up.

JM and a super good V8'er friend are still flying out Friday. Those two will be clicking at least five National meets between them just this year! JM is hitting all three, and his partner was at Gettysburg. Have fun guys and post pictures!

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 10-12-2016 @ 8:05 PM
  Jeff;
JM mentioned the issue at Hershey.
Glad things are under control!

Web Administrator

VT/JeffH    -- 10-14-2016 @ 3:47 PM
  Hi Everyone. I just had a quick phone call with JM and his travelling accomplice. They're in the rental car heading to Pismo/Grover Beach. I'm with 'em in spirit.

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

VT/JeffH    -- 10-17-2016 @ 7:30 PM
  Well, I just don't know what to say about this. I'm pretty green with envy, yeah, I can say that!

What a great club!

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

VT/JeffH    -- 10-17-2016 @ 7:40 PM
  Hmmm.

-VT/JeffH
club site WWW.NCR36.COM

v8teditor    -- 10-22-2016 @ 9:09 PM
  UPDATE: Jeff's wife had a medical emergency at the last minute and Jeff did not get to make the trip to the Western National Meet. Instead Frank Miller (agreed to go at the last minute) and John Mason went in his place. Director Phill Hall loaned them a 1936 Sedan. During their time at the meet, they had a flat tire. More details coming in the Western National report in the Jan/Feb 2017 V-8 TIMES. - Jerry Windle

v8teditor    -- 10-22-2016 @ 9:13 PM
  UPDATE: Here's a happy Frank Miller and John Mason at the WNM with Phil's 1936.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9984