Topic: helmet dizzy coil

twostickmutt    -- 08-11-2016 @ 2:34 PM
  i checked the ohms on my helmet dist. cold on the bench today. the primary was 1.9/2.2 and the secondary was59/60. does the primary seem too high of a reading.after everything gets warmed up there is an occasional sputter. not a skip. just like you shut the switch off for a split second and lately in this heat it will shut down idling. getting gas in the carb ok. when it does shut down you can flip the ign. switch back and forth and see no discharge on the ammeter but there is 6 volts from the battery right to the distributor and everything in between. was wondering if the coil is heading south. meant to add after it sits for a few minutes it pops right back off. thanks for any help.

This message was edited by twostickmutt on 8-11-16 @ 2:34 PM

ford38v8    -- 08-11-2016 @ 8:43 PM
  I can't tell you about ohms, but your 6 volts at the coil is suspicious. First, if your points are open, you'll have full voltage, and drop 2 volts if the points are closed. But to get 6 volts from battery and "everywhere in between" isn't realistic. The best system will still drop some voltage to resistance along the way through cable/solenoid/harness/ignition switch/resistor/coil wire, so if you get 5 1/2 volts with points open, you're golden.

The momentary hesitation sounds like an occasional one time miss under power? Or this while idling? Either way, your high voltage from the distributor is looking for the shortest route to ground, and may find it somewhere else than the desired location at the spark plug. Check your plugs, they can tell you things you didn't know. And about this happening after warm-up, check your spark with engine cold, and again with engine at operating temperature. If the color of your spark goes from blue at cold to yellow at warm, then you do have an issue with the coil. I presume you know about Skip Haney's coil rebuild service in florida? A rebuilt is your best option if that's your problem.

Alan

twostickmutt    -- 08-12-2016 @ 1:30 AM
  thanks Alan for the reply. the sometimes miss or hesitation is under load while driving along. today after it gets warmed up I'm going to check the color of the spark. i also should have said after it starts voltage drops to 3.5 volts to the coil. I'll let you know what i find and yes i know about skip. thank you. jim

40 Coupe    -- 08-12-2016 @ 4:19 AM
  In order to get accurate ohm readings, because the value is low, use a digital ohm meter and clean the terminals, if possible use meter leads with sharp pointed test leads. Make sure you have the lowest reading possible. The Ford coil primary is ABOUT 1.0 ohm and the resistor ABOUT 0.5 ohm. The coil secondary is in the thousands of ohms and the meter should read K. ohms.

twostickmutt    -- 08-12-2016 @ 8:29 AM
  want to thank everybody for their help on here once again. i'm pretty sure the condenser was on its way out. put in a napa IH 200 and it seems to be running a ton better and no more stalling when idling. i'm going to take it for a good ride later and see if the quick hesitation is gone too. i found out from previous owner this am that skip had done the coil over last year and the car hasn't been a 1000 miles since then so that pretty much ruled out the coil. thanks again. jim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9979