Topic: Thoughts on chrome headbolt covers

46coupe    -- 08-06-2016 @ 10:24 AM
  I have a 46 Ford coupe which is in original condition. The engine has lost most of its paint but still looks good. What are your thoughts on putting these chrome caps on the head nuts, either now or after the block is painted? BTW when/if the block gets painted will it then be non original, if I ever get to a region meeting for judging? Points off?
Thanks for any input you all can give.

ford38v8    -- 08-06-2016 @ 11:23 AM
  Honestly, that was done by myself and many others as teenagers with a little mad money back in the day. Today, the joke would be on you when you open your hood. Seriously, if it were part of the car's history still intact, OK, but not today. Obviously, just my opinion.

I'm glad you're aware of the Rouge Award at the V8 Meets. Yes, painting the engine block or painting anything on the car would destroy originality for that award. What is allowed is replacement of perishables such as radiator hose, fan belt, battery, spark plugs, fuel pumps, but replacements must be of the same type as original, meaning that you shouldn't replace the radiator hose with generic flex hose, etc. Carbs and fuel pumps should be rebuilt rather than replaced. Do as little as possible, including salvage electrical wiring with electrical tape rather than replacing the wire. There is some leeway and still be eligible for the award, so by all means, go for it!

Alan

46coupe    -- 08-06-2016 @ 11:51 AM
  Hi Alan,
Thanks for your reply. I've been thinking along the same lines. Wiring wise I have had to use some aftermarket covering over the wiring to protect it from anymore destruction. It looks close to the original. The club I belong to consists mostly of brands from the fifties, sixties, and seventies with lots of chrome on engines, etc. which is why someone thought the pieces might help dress up my engine bay. My car is the second oldest in the group. The oldest car is an original 39 Ford sedan.
Thanks again,
Brad

BUCKAWHO    -- 08-07-2016 @ 4:38 PM
  Just a few thoughts....A year ago I purchased a '51 Custom Coupe from a company in Mass. It has dual exhausts with headers; inch-and-a-half lowering blocks in the rear; chrome nut-covers, oil filter canister, radiator hoses, and generator cover. It has never had a frame-off, but plenty of areas redone to keep it looking great. None of the work is recent. The engine, paint, glass, chrome and stainless all look terrific. it is now just like what I had done to my '50 two-door sedan when I was a teenager sixty years ago. It's not a show winner, but it gets raves, waves, and stories wherever I take it. Everybody wants to see and hear the "flathead". I love it, and quite honestly I couldn't care less if someone, judge or not, doesn't like it. Those types can pound sand. Instead of trying to impress some judge, fix that car up to suit yourself...you will like it a lot more. Make it YOURS ! BT

trjford8    -- 08-07-2016 @ 6:07 PM
  Our old Fords all come down to personal preference. What year, model, body style you like and whether you like them stock, slightly modified or fully modified. I've had them all from Rouge cars to fully modified. We are all part of the car culture and what it comes to is the camaraderie of our fellow enthusiasts. We are all car people who enjoy the hobby.

FordFreak    -- 08-12-2016 @ 5:58 PM
  Make your old Ford the way you want it , and not how others want it .
Otherwise , the joke really will be on you !!

46coupe    -- 08-20-2016 @ 9:31 AM
  Thanks to all for your replies. I bought the caps just in case I want to ever use them.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-20-2016 @ 10:37 AM
  I agree, it's your car and if you like the chrome acorn covers, put them on.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9964