Topic: 36 FORD WONT TURN OVER

SHM    -- 08-05-2016 @ 10:47 AM
  PUT IN NEW STARTER AND HAD TO CHARGE MY OPTIMA BATTERY . STARTED UP AND DIED 5 MIN LATER ... LEFT TRICKLE CHARGE A COUPLE DAYS , AND NOTHING .. 2 WEEKS LATER GOT NEW OPTIMA AND WONT TURN OVER .CHECKED ALL CABLES AND CLEANED GROUND AND NOTHING . ANY IDEAS ON WHAT TO CHECK ?

ford38v8    -- 08-05-2016 @ 11:07 AM
  Your starter should ground at its mounting; Recheck your cables; Turn off your Caps Lock. Please.

Alan

SHM    -- 08-06-2016 @ 5:48 AM
  thanks , I checked cables and connections , ok ...Is it possible that i fried my cut out relay when i jumped with another battery or boosted with the charge for a fast start ???

ford38v8    -- 08-06-2016 @ 7:49 AM
  That's not likely in my opinion, but easy to check. If it clicks it should be good. You may have the connections mixed up, however.
Did you check the mounting of the starter? You could have paint or grease insulating the mount. It must be clean and bare to complete the electrical circuit.

Alan

cliftford    -- 08-06-2016 @ 9:51 AM
  Do you have a good ground from the engine to the chassis?

SHM    -- 08-06-2016 @ 3:59 PM
  I got rid of the battery cable safe quick disconnect and put the cable directly to the battery and she fired up..now I just need to clean the carb and get rid of a tank full of 3 yr old gas...is there anything I can add to the gas or just pump it out .. thanks for the help....

MG    -- 08-06-2016 @ 4:37 PM
  How did it run/sound when it "fired up"? If it's running OK with the gas that's in it, I would just burn it up. You could top off the tank with some fresh gas as well....

Oh, and add some CHEVRON 'TECHRON' to the gas. That stuff really works great to clean up your fuel system. It can be purchased at most auto parts stores....

This message was edited by MG on 8-6-16 @ 4:41 PM

SHM    -- 08-07-2016 @ 4:13 AM
  Ran very rough,for only a min or 2.. only at idle , when I pump the gas she died , poured a little gas down the carb she ran better till that ran out ...something plugged in the carb I think ..I'll get a can of carb cleaner and the chevron techron,and a new filter. I'ts not plugged but has a real dark color to it... when I last used the car , I filled the tank , about 3 or 4 yrs ... thanks...

This message was edited by SHM on 8-7-16 @ 4:15 AM

len47merc    -- 08-07-2016 @ 6:50 AM
  If your carb and fuel system is lacquered-up, which is likely, SeaFoam would be a better choice IMHO to dissolve the deposits and get it operational again (if that is the only problem you have).

Personally I'd dump the tank, clean the fuel lines, install 5 gallons of fresh non-ethanol 89 octane on top of a full can of SeaFoam and pump that through the carb, leave it for several hours to a day or two, then attempt the starting process again. No telling how long (other) problems may linger with 3-4 year old fuel.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9963