Topic: CAN A MITCHELL OVERDRIVE BE PUT IN 1941 coupe with

murphy1941    -- 08-02-2016 @ 8:14 AM
  Would like to put in overdrive in my 41 super Deluxe coupe. Will a Mitch*ll fit in or what kind will ? Thank john

4dFordSC    -- 08-02-2016 @ 12:22 PM
  Mitch*ll and Columbia Two-Speed Axle will fit.

oldford2    -- 08-02-2016 @ 1:36 PM
  I have Mitch*ll in our 46 and no floor issues with the installation with the cable shift option. Give Sue Mitch*ll a call and talk to her. Some earlier Fords required some floor modification but I think yours will be alright. Second best feeling I ever had. Shifting in and out on the fly.
John

murphy1941    -- 08-02-2016 @ 8:48 PM
  Spoke to Sue Mitch*ll she said if I had a dropped floor in the back of front seat it won't work. I don't have dropped floor . I have two folded seats but floor is straight flat front to back.she said something about 171/4 " it needs front some point on the mitch*ll box but I don't fully know what she is referring to john

This message was edited by murphy1941 on 8-2-16 @ 8:49 PM

murphy1941    -- 08-02-2016 @ 8:50 PM
  On the Columbia, where does one acquire one and what cars use them please john

4dFordSC    -- 08-03-2016 @ 4:54 AM
  <<On the Columbia, where does one acquire one and what cars use them please>>

They were available for all Ford models from 1932 through 1948, but have not been manufactured since 1949. Examples appear occasionally on eBay, with and without the controls. Finding the controls is often as challenging as finding the units themselves. Ford went to the Borg-Warner overdrive transmission in 1949, and the Columbia Two-Speed Axle Co. folded shortly thereafter.

Here are some links with more information:

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2006/06/Columbia-two-speed-rears/1280603.html

http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/Pages/default.aspx

trjford8    -- 08-03-2016 @ 10:33 AM
  A nice rebuilt Columbia with controls will cost you more than the Mitch*ll. If you are looking to save a little money the Mitch*ll is the way to go. If you are looking to stay completely original then go with the Columbia. We have a couple of members in our V-8 Club who have the Mitch*ll and they drive the heck out of their cars. They are completely sold on the Mitch*ll.

4dFordSC    -- 08-03-2016 @ 11:26 AM
  As a Columbia owner, I'll second trjford8. I was lucky and found one on eBay a few years ago, and was also able to put together a set of controls after some searching. Although the unit was in decent shape, I had it rebuilt and bullet-proofed, so that by the time it was installed I had somewhat more than the price of a Mitch*ll unit in it. That's not to say I regret buying the Columbia, but if a good one weren't available I'd opt for the Mitch*ll without reservation. IMHO, once you've driven a flathead with overdrive, you'll never want to go back.

wmsteed    -- 08-13-2016 @ 1:30 PM
  If my memory serves me correctly, the Mitch*ll overdrive units was originally developed for the Model A Fords.. I think the lever and/or cable operation of the Mitch*ll would be less than user friendly to the average "modern" driver.
The '42-48 Columbia OD is very user friendly, they are electric over vacuum and require no alterations to the vehicle.
The vast majority of the Early Ford V8 group think that the '42-48 Columbia's can't be used in the '36-41 Fords without modifications because they are 2" wider than the '36-41 differentials. They are wider, however, an inch more on each side is not a big deal.
My '36 Ford had the early style Columbia in it for the first two years that I had it, I converted it to a '42-48 unit using the '36 driveshaft and '36 center section with '42-48 axles and axle housings. I did have to use a '42-48 rear spring and shackles.
The benefit of the combination of parts I used provided me with mounts for a rear sway bar and tube shocks.
The electric shift is very user friendly and seamless. As with all two speed units, they should be shifted into low range prior to descending a hill.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9951