Topic: transmission??

JohnA    -- 07-31-2016 @ 2:46 PM
  WHATS STUCK??MY TRANSMISSION OR PARKING BRAKE.mY 48 IS PARKED ON A SMALL INCLINE,BUT WHEN i PUSH IN CLUTCH THE CAR DOESN"T ROLL,i WAS ALL SET TO REBUILD LINKAGE WHICH HAS BEEN GIVING ME PROBLEMS ANYWAYS.The park brake cables are loose while applied.

RAK402    -- 07-31-2016 @ 5:06 PM
  You mentioned pushing in the clutch and the car not rolling-were you able to get the transmission into neutral (i.e. did the shifter move)?

I have had the clutch stick when the car was in prolonged storage. The clutch disk got stuck to the pressure plate and would not move, even with the clutch pedal fully depressed. I could not get the car out of gear. The effort required to depress the clutch pedal felt the same as when the clutch was operating normally.

With the engine not running (obviously it can't be from the situation that you described)...

You can tell if the disk is actually moving by removing the floor pan/transmission cover, then the transmission inspection cover and depressing the clutch pedal..

If it is stuck, and you can't get it out of gear, chock the front wheels so the car won't roll, and raise the rear wheels off the ground. Reach in (between the pressure plate arms) with a 90 degree screwdriver while depressing the clutch, and pull the edge of the disk back (toward you). Get your tools/hands out of the way, and press the starter button very briefly to rotate the clutch/pressure plate about 120 degrees. Pull back on the edge of the clutch disk as before. Again, get fingers and tools out of the way and press the starter again to rotate things another 120 degrees. Repeat one more time and the clutch should be free.

I have had to do this twice. It is much easier (assuming the clutch is stuck as mine was) than taking the transmission out to get to it.

Some of the guys who are much better at diagnosing these things will (hopefully) chime in with better diagnosis/answers for you.

This message was edited by RAK402 on 7-31-16 @ 5:09 PM

juergen    -- 08-01-2016 @ 6:19 AM
  Push in the clutch and hit the starter. If the engine turns the car may be in neutral or the clutch is disengaged. Then hit the starter with the clutch engaged. If the engine turns and the car still does not move, you know the trans is in neutral and it is not a problem. If the engine does not turn, the car is in gear, but the clutch is not the problem.

If the engine does not turn in the first test, the clutch may be the problem (assuming a good battery/starter).

If you had the emergency brake on for a time, I suspect the brakes are froze to the drums. I never like to leave the emergency brake on for an extended time in humid Iowa.

JohnA    -- 08-01-2016 @ 7:05 AM
  Yes,the shifter moves, but I don"t think it"s doing anything at tranny.Yes effort to push in clutch pedal is normal.Engine is running fine.When I go to let out clutch car will stall. I"m leaning to frozen brakes.??

juergen    -- 08-02-2016 @ 5:34 AM
  Looks like tranny or brakes. With the shift lever not doing anything, the trans could be stuck in two gears which would lock up the trans. Get underneath the car and see if you can put both levers on the trans (assuming you still have a side shifter) in neutral by noting up detent, down detent and then stopping at center detent.

JohnA    -- 08-02-2016 @ 8:35 AM
  will try.Tks John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9936