Topic: Engine Missing

Robert/Texas    -- 07-30-2016 @ 2:43 PM
  My ’34 roadster was running fine until about five days ago. At that time it started right up but developed a miss, it sounded like one or two cylinders. The miss went away in about two miles. Yesterday when I started it, it started missing like crazy.
I pulled the plugs and they all looked the same, blackish and just little wet. I replaced them (Champion D16’s with D19’s set at .030) and it wouldn’t start at all. I reset the new plugs at .025 and it starts but misses like crazy as before.
The engine is a stock ’36 except for a Stromberg 97 carburetor and a Mallory distributor which I bought from Patrick’s back around 1994. I replaced the points, springs and rotor in the distributor in 2010 and have put about 2500 miles on the car since then.
I have some ideas as to what else to look for but will welcome any suggestions. I’m hoping for an easy solution.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Robert

MG    -- 07-30-2016 @ 3:26 PM
  Simplest things first - Replace the condenser. If that doesn't work, replace the coil....

carcrazy    -- 07-30-2016 @ 5:31 PM
  The simplest thing might be the problem. Make sure all of the connecting screws and nuts in the ignition primary system are tight.

TomO    -- 08-01-2016 @ 7:44 AM
  You need gas, compression and spark to make the engine run. Check the spark coming from the distributor by removing one wire from a plug and holding it near a head nut. You should have a 1/2" blue spark at idle. If not, check the coil, condenser and points. Also check that you have about 4 volts at the coil with the points closed and battery voltage with them open.

Check to see if the miss is only on a certain cylinder. If it is, check the spark on that cylinder. If the spark is good, it could be a valve that is sticking.

Tom

Robert/Texas    -- 08-03-2016 @ 4:56 AM
  Thanks to all of you.
It turned out that the small bolt that goes through the body of the Mallory distributor, connecting the points, condenser and coil wire, was a little loose. I tightened that and replaced the condenser. After I reinstalled the distributor the engine started right up and accelerated from 5 MPH to 65 without a any hesitation (4/11 gears).

ken ct.    -- 08-03-2016 @ 7:36 AM
  Good fix. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9935