Topic: rear brake drum on the 39

twostickmutt    -- 07-29-2016 @ 11:30 AM
  noticed a ticking sound in my right rear brake drum on the 39 and when brakes are applied it almost sounded like a clunking sound. i pulled the drum off and found that the heads of the wheels studs were just catching on part of the front brake shoe and when the brakes were applied it made it worse. question is would shimming the axle keep the drum out a little farther to not hit the brake shoe. as far as the brakes look everything looks in place. thanks for any help. jim

This message was edited by twostickmutt on 7-29-16 @ 12:21 PM

ford38v8    -- 07-29-2016 @ 11:40 AM
  Do not shim the axle for that purpose. Check to see if there are spring clips holding the shoes in place to the backing plate. This is important for several reasons.

Alan

twostickmutt    -- 07-29-2016 @ 12:24 PM
  alan all the spring clips were in place and shoes were secure. enclosed a pic.

ford38v8    -- 07-29-2016 @ 2:58 PM
  Jim, I'm stumped. What was the last thing you did to the system before this started? Something has changed, different shoes, different drum? Compare to the other side that doesn't rub, you might find the answer yourself.

Alan

twostickmutt    -- 07-29-2016 @ 3:24 PM
  OK Alan thanks. i had just gotten the car awhile back and haven't driven it much till now. i put wheel cylinders all the way around. that's all i did inside the brake drums. tomorrow I'll pull the other side apart and do some looking. i was wondering if the studs were wrong (to big of a head on them). I'll compare with the drivers side. thanks again for your help. jim

ford38v8    -- 07-29-2016 @ 4:02 PM
  That's what I thought too, but the clipped area of the stud looks to be way too close to the drum anyway. The drum appears to be from a parts house, having been marked "pass.", and I'm not positive that a '36-'38 drum is the same dimensionally as '39. Can you show a pic of the shoes as installed? I'm not understanding what part of the shoe could be rubbing, being so far inboard from the drum surface.

Alan

twostickmutt    -- 07-29-2016 @ 4:08 PM
  i had marked the drums pass/drv just so they went back where i found them when i did the wheel cylinders.i'll post a pic tomorrow am. thank you !

This message was edited by twostickmutt on 7-29-16 @ 4:17 PM

carcrazy    -- 07-29-2016 @ 4:32 PM
  Are you sure the brake shoe retracting springs are installed correctly? Is the parking brake cable end all the way home in the lever?

twostickmutt    -- 07-30-2016 @ 8:23 AM
  i think (i hope) i found the problem. the retaining clip for the e-brake lever was bent in where it attaches on the backing plate so that kicked the bottom of the lever out a little bit past the brake shoes so it would catch the heads on the wheel studs when they came around and probably kicked the shoes out enough when the brake was applied to rub the shoe. ill post the result when i get the drum back on. thanks for all the help ! jim

This message was edited by twostickmutt on 7-30-16 @ 8:24 AM

twostickmutt    -- 07-30-2016 @ 9:24 AM
  Alan and carcrazy. problem solved. thank you for your relies. jim

This message was edited by twostickmutt on 7-30-16 @ 9:24 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9934