Topic: 36 Ford

kiwi al    -- 07-27-2016 @ 3:41 PM
  Hi, what is the general thought on using synthetic engine oil in original 36 engines, my Tudor has it already and seems to run ok and was thinking of doing the same to my coupe. Also I'm having generator charging issues with both cars, any ideas ? I like the idea of 6v alternator, are these available for these early engines ? Any input or info is greatly appreciated, Thanks, Al.

TomO    -- 08-01-2016 @ 8:42 AM
  That is a nice 36.

Most of us do not use the synthetic oil because the older cars cannot use the advantages of the oil, such as longer oil changes and flowing better in cold temperatures. It also seems to find places to leak from that regular oil doesn't.

I would not extend the time between oil changes as the filters for the older cars are not as efficient as the ones for modern cars and the oil will be contaminated by the un-burned gas that will be dribbled into the crankcase by the carburetor. Other than that, I see no problem with using the synthetic oil.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 08-01-2016 @ 4:48 PM
  I use Mobil 1 not for the reasons Tom stated, but for its ability to endure extended periods of high operating temperature, unlike dinosaur oil that suffers under those overheated conditions as are common to Flathead Fords. Also, any oil that can find a passage to escape where others cannot surely has no problem lubricating every nook and cranny along the way!

Alan

kiwi al    -- 08-03-2016 @ 7:51 PM
  Hi Tom, I wasn't looking to extend oil changes so much as thinking it might help reduce the operating temp somewhat through less friction, although I have no overheating problems even when running in 90deg heat. Not sure I want anymore oil leaks though. Thanks for the compliment and the advice. Cheers, Al.

kiwi al    -- 08-03-2016 @ 7:59 PM
  Hi Alan, that was my thinking that there would be less friction, therefore cooler operating temp, but as Tom says the extra leaks may be the side effect. Thanks for your input, Cheers, Al.

TomO    -- 08-04-2016 @ 7:31 AM
  If your 36 currently is using synthetic oil and you are not having problems, I see no reason to change, except cost.

I know that my 40 cools better since I went back to 10W 30 from 20W50, but I have not checked out the synthetic in that car. My Lincoln has synthetic in it, but it always runs at 180, even with 10w30.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9925