Topic: no power up hills

40headaches    -- 07-27-2016 @ 12:25 PM
  Installed professionally rebuilt 1940 v8,test drove to discover I have no power to go up hills in 3rd gear. 2nd works for only up to 25 or so. I'm flipping out. All but pistons and rods have been replaced. Trans was gone over by professional, Skips coil, Cliffs distributor,newFA49 condensor Carpenters new carb. New plugs, fires up good. Accelerates on flat rd. As I go up the hill the rpms do not increase w/ pedal to the floor, W/ a 40mph head start I can get half way up but soon slows way down to the point of needing 2nd gear to continue. My definition of professional = pay their rates to get a job done. Other club members have used them. At least I have no more rumble to ask about.

carcrazy    -- 07-27-2016 @ 1:35 PM
  We need more information to suggest solutions to your lack of power. What is your rear axle ratio? What body style is the vehicle? Do you carry extra weight in the car? What is the altitude at which you are experiencing problems going up hill? Do you have the 85 HP engine or the 60 HP engine? What manifold vacuum does the engine have at idle? If you have the 60 HP engine, the lack of power is to be expected. If you have the 85 HP engine, the power should be adequate if everything is to specification but it will not be as powerful as a modern car.

MG    -- 07-27-2016 @ 1:46 PM
  Is it a V8-60HP engine???

40 Coupe    -- 07-27-2016 @ 1:52 PM
  As mentioned more info would be nice. Have you put a vacuum gauge on the engine? With the engine off, have someone depress the gas pedal to the floor and look at the Carb to see if the throttle linkage is opening the Carb. throttle all the way. What is a new Carpenter carb.?? A newly manufactured 94 or an original NOS 94, what are the numbers embossed into the carb body? A picture of the carb, vacuum lines, fuel pump and distributor would be nice.

40headaches    -- 07-27-2016 @ 3:07 PM
  85hp Dennis carpenter new carb 94. no other fuel pumps beside orig. that I rebuilt in Nov. 2015. 1940 Fordor Sedan. I was able to turn carb set screws all the way in and not shut the motor off. That does not seem good to me. Also forget the hills. No acceleration on flat road either. I can eventually get to 40 but before the rebuild the car would jerk you back in the seat if you floored it.

40headaches    -- 07-27-2016 @ 3:07 PM
  Distributor

40headaches    -- 07-27-2016 @ 3:08 PM
  fuel and carb

40headaches    -- 07-27-2016 @ 3:09 PM
  Can I use this gauge as a vac. gauge? can I hook it up where my windshield wipers go into the intake? Also they do not work at all. They did prior to rebuild. Might be helpful to know.

ken ct.    -- 07-27-2016 @ 3:44 PM
  Sounds like a faulty DC carb or the FP you rebuilt with to us unknown parts (kit probably from China). I would buy a good rebuilt in USA FP and send DC back his carb for a replacement. ken ct. I have properly rebuilt FP's if you need. 40 uses the off-set inlet an outlet holes. Hard to find pumps. 1-203-260-5945 cell.

cliftford    -- 07-27-2016 @ 3:54 PM
  that looks like a pressure rather than a vacuum. Usually a vacuum guage will be marked as such on the face.

40 Coupe    -- 07-27-2016 @ 5:26 PM
  The gauge pictured can not be used to measure engine vacuum. Nearly all of the vacuum gauges also measure fuel pump pressure. They read vacuum in inches of mercury calibrated scale, the scale for fuel pump reassure is PSI. The wiper motor not running is most likely a second problem. Remove the wiper hose from the steel vacuum tube and connect the vacuum gauge to the engine. It does sound like a Carb problem. The 40, 85HP used the Ford 91-99 Carb. I have sent you a PM

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 7-27-16 @ 5:32 PM

40cpe    -- 07-28-2016 @ 8:49 AM
  The fact that the wipers worked before the rebuild and now don't coupled with the low power leads me to think low timing or leaking valves. Advance the distributor to max and/or check compression.

40headaches    -- 07-28-2016 @ 9:49 AM
  Well! Found the problem. Fellow club member arrived w/ vac. gauge since Nappa had none in stock. Erratic needle like on drugs from 0 to 10. Started compression test and my Dad always told me to lay them on table the way they come out. Thanks Dad. Look at what I found in the photo. I did not proceed w/ compression check. So the car goes to see the engine rebuild shop Tuesday. Will the car make it to Gettysburg? Time will tell. Thank you for all comments.

MG    -- 07-28-2016 @ 12:28 PM
  Why would the car have to go back to the "engine rebuild shop" because of sooty plugs???....

40headaches    -- 07-28-2016 @ 1:12 PM
  excuse my lousy photos. It shows one good plug. The center plug has ground kissing electrode. The last plug shows the ground smashed into the electrode both are flat w/ the threads. I have two pistons that hit the plugs. Both have oil on them seen thru plug hole. I'm relieved that its something that I did not do. Frustrated because of what I need to do to get the car over there, impatient because of the time frame I am trying to hit. At least now they will need to give me a car that runs w/ out me having to time, tune it etc. That's what I plan on telling them. I will own a vacuum tester in a few days. And I will study the book to fully understand what can be done w/ it. I simply do not know these things. But I will.
SO! Now I am thinking of wrapping my car w/ some good soft foam I use on my lacquered cabinets. If my car gets scratched sitting in his shop, it will not be a good day. So I plan on taking a video after I clean the car, then wrapping it, blue tape did not pull off the finish, then get this curvy lady to the shop. Unless any of you have better ideas, preventing a scratch is better to me than expecting the shop to take care of it.

MG    -- 07-28-2016 @ 2:58 PM
  You said: "I have two pistons that hit the plugs." I don't understand how this could happen given the location of the plugs in a Flathead....

Click on link below for cutaway picture of Flathead V8....

http://www.earlyfordv8.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Ford-V8-221-CID-1932.jpg

BTW - I really like your '40

This message was edited by MG on 7-28-16 @ 3:27 PM

40 Coupe    -- 07-28-2016 @ 5:18 PM
  I believe MG is correct the plugs on the 1940 A head are not above the pistons. They are above part of the exhaust valve. Try to measure how high the exhaust valve rises toward the plug, compare to cylinders without the problem. Or re-gap and install the plugs and turn the engine over by hand to see if the valve is actually hitting the plug, don't force, but if there is resistance pull the plug and make sure resistance disappears. problems could be valve adjustment, valve guide keepers, could have a bent valve. You should be able to see the valve open and close through the plug holes. Maybe the plugs were messed up when you installed them??

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 7-28-16 @ 5:32 PM

40cpe    -- 07-28-2016 @ 5:34 PM
  There is a reason the valves hit the plugs and it needs to be found. Are they the correct tip length? Do the exhaust valves appear to close while looking through the plug opening? I would look a lot harder for the cause. Maybe the problem can be corrected without exposing the new paint to the repair shop.

MG    -- 07-28-2016 @ 6:27 PM
  Is everything 'stock' in your engine - heads, cam, lifters, valves etc.? Are your lifters the Johnson adjustable type? If so, it would seem reasonable to assume that they were not adjusted or not adjusted correctly and the results of this would be consistent with the symptoms you describe....

This message was edited by MG on 7-28-16 @ 10:02 PM

40headaches    -- 07-29-2016 @ 6:10 AM
  Thanks for the correction. Yes plugs hit valves. The motor is covered by the machine shop for 15 months. We spoke and they are taking responsibility for it. I do not want to tear apart the motor. The car is not newly painted but it looks good the way it is now. I just did not want it to get damaged. The plugs were all fine prior to. Those same valves show oil on them were as the rest are a dry light rust color. All but the pistons and push rods are new inside. That's what I remember what I was told.

40cpe    -- 07-29-2016 @ 7:49 AM
  I hope you will report back here on what was the cause and the cure.

MG    -- 07-29-2016 @ 3:59 PM
  x 2 - what 40cpe said above!....

TomO    -- 08-01-2016 @ 8:13 AM
  Do you have stock heads on the engine? The threads of those plugs seem to be extending too far into the combustion chamber.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9921