Topic: Where is the water going?

voced    -- 07-22-2016 @ 6:23 PM
  I put new water pumps on my 35 Ford pickup and it seems to lose water. Not in the oil, doesn't appear to be burning it, and not leaking anywhere, except some coming from the overflow tube. Any suggestions? Are the new water pumps pushing it out the overflow as I am going down the road?

This message was edited by voced on 7-22-16 @ 6:25 PM

voced    -- 07-22-2016 @ 6:26 PM
  Sorry wrong photo.

nelsb01    -- 07-22-2016 @ 6:45 PM
  You didn't mention if you had thermostats in or not.
Are you sure, that you have all the air out of the block. I have seen were all the air has not been purged from the system and that will cause you to lose water.

Nice looking trailer.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 7-22-16 @ 6:45 PM

TomO    -- 07-23-2016 @ 7:12 AM
  You could be pushing the water out the overflow tube. You can install Skips pressure relief valve at the bottom of the overflow tube to keep the water in the radiator.

Coolant going out the overflow is usually caused by foaming of the antifreeze. Pressurizing the system reduces foaming as does using Sierra antifreeze.

Water does not foam, but if the pump is pumping more water than the tubes in the radiator can handle, some of it will go out the overflow. This condition may be caused by blocked radiator tubes and could be cured by cleaning the radiator.

Tom

voced    -- 07-24-2016 @ 6:01 AM
  Thanks Tom: I would understand the plugged radiator, however, when it is full of water or anti-freeze it runs on the low side of normal. Never overheats unless low on water.

fordmerc    -- 07-24-2016 @ 9:41 AM
  TomO is right on about the pressure valve. Water from the overflow tube was making a mess in my engine compartment - as well as depleting the water level. 100% solved by the placement of Skip.s valve on the overflow tube.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9906