Topic: flathead water pumps

tommyleea    -- 07-20-2016 @ 9:10 AM
  53 flathead..I removed both water pumps. The drivers side has a piece of metal in the block behind the pump. The passenger side doesn't have this piece of metal plate behind the pump, it is just an open area. Is this piece missing on the passenger side or is this a design change? Did it just disintegrate? Is the block toast?

tommyleea    -- 07-22-2016 @ 5:22 AM
  I should maybe change the topic to water pump cavity in block. On my block, it looks like the water pump would just pump the water into an open area on the passenger side. Can't see that it would do much good. On the drivers side there is a small cavity that the impeller would fit into. A more confined space to pump into. I am just wondering if my block is actually missing the water cavity on the passenger side, and where it would have gone to. How does the water flow thru the block? I know I should have pictures, but I don't at this time. If my block is ruined, I don't want to waste my time with other things. Thanks, and sorry for the poor explanation. Help me if you can... Cheers.

MG    -- 07-22-2016 @ 10:43 AM
  What's the story? Is it that you are just installing new water pumps on the block or are you rebuilding the engine? Is the engine in or out of the car? What's the history on this engine? Did it have a overheating problem?

The water pumps push the water from the bottom of the radiator through the block and out the top of the heads back into the radiator....

This message was edited by MG on 7-22-16 @ 11:00 AM

Bill4d1merc    -- 07-22-2016 @ 11:11 AM
  I believe what you are seeing is the cylinder wall behind the water pump on the drivers side the reason you don't see it on the passenger side is because that cylinder sits back further.

Bill

tommyleea    -- 07-22-2016 @ 12:50 PM
  MG..thanks for the questions..I just picked up a 53 ranch wagon, not running..I did try to rotate the engine prior to bringing it home, and it did rotate by hand, and not locked up. Once home I was rotating it again, and it only went so far, back and forth, and not a complete revolution. I removed the water pumps because they were locked up. That is when I noticed the cavity area behind the water pumps. I plan on looking further into why the engine isn't rotating fully, but when I saw the area behind the water pumps, I just wasn't sure if the block was trashed or not. Seems to be very original motor. I don't want to waste time if the block isn't any good. I have some other topics about the car, but they are scattered thru the forum, should have just added to them. Thanks 4d1merc...Thanks for the input, that makes sense, now I will have to go back out and look at the area again..

tommyleea    -- 07-23-2016 @ 4:49 AM
  Well, I found a flathead rebuild in action, and saw the areas behind the water pumps. Mine is good to go. Bill4d1merc, thanks for the info, there is an additional plate on the drivers side, maybe to protect the cylinder since it is closer to the front. Thanks to all, I will press on.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9901