Topic: Wheel Bearing Manufacturers

len47merc    -- 07-19-2016 @ 6:02 PM
  Your thoughts on suppliers of front wheel bearings and races for '40-'48s. Assumed originals are BOWER's. Anyone have any experience with BCA/NTN vs. TIMKEN vs. National vs. Precision Auto vs. (???)? Or does it really matter (back-ups versus daily/touring runners)?

Steve

3w2    -- 07-19-2016 @ 8:40 PM
  Ford used Bower, Fafnir, and Timken as bearing suppliers, not just Bower.

len47merc    -- 07-20-2016 @ 3:26 AM
  My comment of 'assumed originals' referred to the bearings found in the car's wheels upon receipt in 2013. Given the car's known history I doubt they've ever been changed but one never knows exactly what happened over 69 years, so given Bower was known to be one of Ford's suppliers at the time I 'assume' these are still the original bearings.

Am investing in a back-up set for long trips and doubt there's any concerns with any of the manufacturers listed in the original question. Given the depth of experience on this Forum it is thought a question about the current manufacturers may ferret out a problem to be avoided and/or $s savings.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-20-16 @ 4:38 AM

len47merc    -- 07-20-2016 @ 7:21 AM
  Bought a set of US-made Timken bearings and races for longer distance travel back-up and called it a day.

Steve

40 Coupe    -- 07-20-2016 @ 9:31 AM
  You would be better off carrying something else beside wheel bearings. They hold up and it is very unusual for them to go bad.

len47merc    -- 07-20-2016 @ 9:49 AM
  I travel quite a bit with older vehicles and have experienced two occasions in 45 years of driving - one where I lost an outer front bearing and one where a right rear bearing failed on routinely overloaded '68 International Travelall in the middle of down-east-nowhere NC. Both times I had back-up bearings, seals and all the necessaries to make the changes on the side of the road. Was able to make the change and still make the scheduled 11 months-in-advance 4-car ferry to the national wilderness with all the food and cooking utensils for 14 or so male-bonding buddies in the back. And the bearings that failed were nowhere near 69 years old with 45K miles on them.

Given my wife is going to be in the car with me this trip - I'll definitely err on the side of caution here.

Steve

murphy1941    -- 08-02-2016 @ 8:36 AM
  Steve where did you buy bearings please address, phone number etc thanks. John ford103041@gmail.com

len47merc    -- 08-02-2016 @ 1:08 PM
  No problem John. Sent you an e-mail to the address you provided. Hope that helps -

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9898