Topic: car trailer tires

fordv8j    -- 07-16-2016 @ 7:20 PM
  I have a 18' enclosed trailer we haul our 38's in,does anyone run regular car tires on these? the trailer tires don't have much tread,and hardly any flat tread surface,,,,just wondering

kubes40    -- 07-16-2016 @ 7:31 PM
  I am certain you'll find plenty of folks that run passenger car tires on a trailer. Is that safe? Is it wise?
Trailer tires are manufactured for the stresses they must endure - in many ways different stresses than a car.
My advice? Don't skimp. Buy trailer tires and like your tow vehicle, but good quality tires. I prefer 10 ply (E rated) on my trailers. A bit more costly "up front" but they are inherently safer and do last longer.

1935fordtn    -- 07-16-2016 @ 8:43 PM
  Just as Kube said don;t skimp. I ran a set of car tires on my trailer on the way to Hershey last year. I had 3 Blow outs. I recently bought a set of 4 10 ply "E" load range tires with wheels already mounted off of eBay for $449.00 with free shipping.

nelsb01    -- 07-16-2016 @ 9:13 PM
  And since you probably do not store your trailer indoors -- purchase some tire covers. You can get them at the RV store. Using them will help keep those harmful rays of the sun off the side walls. And prolong the life of the tires.

JM    -- 07-17-2016 @ 9:02 AM
  Many of the trailer tires being sold today are total junk coming out of the big Asian Country. Last year on the way to he ENM in Charlotte, NC, I had my second trailer tire failure on the way down to the meet. In both cases the outer casing completely delaminated from the inner case and all I had left was a completely bald case. While I was there in Charlotte, I bought four new tires from a local tire dealer that are supposedly the best trailer tires available on the market today. I don't have all of the particulars on these tires in my head at the moment, but I can look up the receipt and fill in the details here if anyone cares to know the details. I have put several thousand miles on my trailer with these tires since then, and fingers crossed, have not had any more problems with trailer tires.

John

alanwoodieman    -- 07-17-2016 @ 10:03 AM
  new tires, no matter which company makes them are good for 5 years according to various tire engineers that work for a French company in the states. I run truck tires on my trailer and keep them inflated to max. I live in the south and the sun cooks them and combined with the biggest problem with tires is running the inflation pressure too low, they overheat and come apart. covering them will help

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9890