Topic: Rolla, MO - Live near here ?

bmillerw    -- 07-15-2016 @ 6:07 PM
  Does anyone live near here who would look at a vehicle? I don't want an appraisal or validation or anything official. I would just like to make sure the vehicle is not made out of bondo before I waste a long trip.

BUCKAWHO    -- 07-17-2016 @ 11:14 AM
  Hi...From my amature advice....Get yourself a small magnet. Place it gently on a metal fender of your everyday driver, and see how well it attaches to your car. Then....on the car you're looking at, examine the front fenders behind the front wheels, the bottoms of doors, the rocker panels below the doors, the rear fenders in front of and behind the rear wheels and any other suspect areas. Examine these areas for straightness, waviness, and then carefully place the small magnet frequently along these examined areas. Bondo and other fillers will not provide any metallic areas for the magnet to stick to, and will help you to determine how much bodywork has been done using this compound. If it seems to have very much areas that won't hold the magnet, you can determine for yourself the worthiness of this purchase, and act accordingly. BT

BUCKAWHO    -- 07-17-2016 @ 11:28 AM
  Hi.. Maybe some more helpful advice. I recently purchased an older vehicle from about 750 miles from my home. Not knowing the conditions at the sellers place, I took along a floor jack, two jack stands, a creeper, a strong flashlight, tools, and the mentioned magnet. The seller even helped me with my examination. I checked everything I could think of, top to bottom , front to back, and inside out. I liked what I saw, and made the purchase. Since the purchase, several things have needed attention, but nothing I couldn't handle with the help of members of this forum. So...if the seller will not allow you to examine this car fully to your satisfaction, including a test drive, walk away. Good luck, and happy motoring....BT

bmillerw    -- 07-17-2016 @ 11:44 AM
  I'm trying to avoid a wasted trip by having someone local do a very simple, basic inspection.

ford38v8    -- 07-17-2016 @ 1:56 PM
  Avoiding a wasted trip is good, but you might also view a wasted trip as avoiding a wasted purchase.

Alan

bmillerw    -- 07-17-2016 @ 6:47 PM
  I'm kinda new to this site but I think I am catching on. When someone asks a question, I don't respond with an answer to the question. Instead, I give out advice if what the person wants to do is not consistent with what I would do. Have I got it? It sort of reminds me of taking my car to a show. All I hear is what don't you do this, why don't you do that, your doodad is wrong, etc, etc. I don't know many people who like unsolicited advice. I've bought and sold 30+ collector cars since 1969. There is no way it is a bad idea to have someone do a cursory inspection before I make a trip long trip to do my own inspection. If I arrive and the car has fiberglass fenders and a magnet won't stick to the rockers and other lower extremities, I'm on my way home 15 minutes after I arrived - a wasted trip.

6lucky13    -- 07-18-2016 @ 12:21 PM
  I would contact a local Early Ford V8 club in the area. There are 3 clubs in Missouri: Chesterfield, Jefferson City, and Kansis City (contact information can be found on the home page under the "Regional Club Directory." Addionally, I would post on The Ford Barn Forums.

Kerry

BUCKAWHO    -- 07-19-2016 @ 7:16 AM
  Sorry I wasted my time trying to help. What an azzhat! BT

ford38v8    -- 07-19-2016 @ 9:54 AM
  Looks like we all gave free advice to a used car dealer. Some guys want everything free and then complain about what they get.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 07-19-2016 @ 11:52 AM
  Mr. bmillerw,

I think you are taking exactly the right approach and your request for someone to take a quick look at the car is very reasonable. If I was close I would be glad to do it. What I think you are overlooking is the fact that you are new to the site and nobody knows your background. Combine that with the fact that I feel responses should be made assuming that people with all levels of experience will be reading them. The fact that you have "bought and sold 30+ cars since 1969" didn't come out until rather late so I don't think it is fair to complain about some of the "generic" advice. I am one of the people that appreciates unsolicited advice. I would rather get 30 pieces of well intended but unsolicited advice at a car show than miss the one that said your rim is loose and you might want to check it before you drive home.

Charlie Stephens

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9887