Topic: no spark

MICHV8    -- 07-15-2016 @ 5:19 AM
  I have 2 flatheads: one runs just fine and the other is a bare engine (no carb, no fuel pump, no voltage regulator, no generator). I put a rebuilt crab distributor and rotor on the running car as a test. I used the running car’s crab cap and sparkplug wires for testing convenience. The rebuilt distributor worked fine. The rebuilt crab was then installed on the bare engine with new sparkplug wires and a new crab cap. I had also tested an older coil on the running car and it worked fine. However I do not have a spark at the plugs on the bare engine with the installed rebuilt crab and coil. I have always believed the voltage regulator was only needed for charging…is that true or do I need it for a spark? If I don’t need it, I will start looking for a bad connection or bad resistor…Thanks!

cliftford    -- 07-15-2016 @ 5:41 AM
  You are correct. The voltage reg. only controls the function of the generator. As you mentioned, check all connections .

supereal    -- 07-15-2016 @ 7:47 AM
  Be sure there is voltage at the input to the coil. If not, go back to the resistor and check out each end for voltage. If not the, go to the ignition switch and check. If all check out, put an ohmeter between the distribution end of the coil and watch the meter as you turn the engine over. It should show if the points are opening and closing. If it doesn't, look for a grounded wire or shorted condenser at the distributor. Be sure the battery is properly connected with the ground side to the block, and the other pole to the switch.

MICHV8    -- 07-16-2016 @ 6:00 AM
  thanks to both...glad to see supereal "back in the saddle"

MICHV8    -- 07-17-2016 @ 4:23 AM
  Found a bad connection at the starter switch and fixed it. The engine turned a few times and shot a flame out the intake manifold and then a flame the exhaust manifold and started...ran for 2-3 seconds spewing MMO and oil smoke until the gas tickler was done. Can't have more fun than that! Put a quart of MMO in the oil and I'll see if that helps loosen up whichever valves are sticking....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9884