Topic: '36 Pickup 3 Speed Column Shift

hardtop25    -- 07-12-2016 @ 4:38 PM
  Converting my "36 pickup to column shift but having difficulty with clutch & brake pedal assembly. "40 Ford clutch release equalizer shaft arm (where the clevis goes) lines up under the top edge of x-member rail as well as most of the brake peddle arm. The clutch peddle arm cants well off to the left. Installing a '39 assembly (after market) aligns the peddles correctly but the inboard position of the clutch pedal rod interferes with the column shift rods of my side loader transmission. When I was 16 I had a '35 pu with column shift and it worked perfectly though I assumed it was stock. I have juice brakes, FH motor. Request some experienced comment.

This message was edited by hardtop25 on 7-12-16 @ 8:47 PM

1934 Ford    -- 07-13-2016 @ 5:49 AM
  My guess would be, that for the 35 you had as a teenager, that somebody put 1940 steering column (Or later) and side shift transmission in before you got it. It's apples & oranges and they would also have to shorten the column along with other modifications.

1934 Ford's since 1972

hardtop25    -- 07-13-2016 @ 9:45 AM
  '34 Ford, thanks for responding. Do you know of anyone that has done this type of conversion? I know it's not "bone stock" but seems a reasonable period upgrade of sorts. All of the parts that came along with truck ('36) clearly indicate the owner (deceased 20 yrs. ago) was going to make this conversion. I'd like to know specifically the modifications needed.

carcrazy    -- 07-13-2016 @ 3:46 PM
  One thing you could do to get around the clearance problems with using a mechanically operated clutch is to go with a hydraulic clutch. You will need a clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, the mounts for each and a hydraulic line to connect them. There are some vendors that can provide all of these parts in a kit if you don't want to build the system yourself.

1934 Ford    -- 07-13-2016 @ 5:26 PM
  Hartop25.
Once you start down the trail of "improving" your 36, it's an endless devaluation of the car unless you actually finish it as a stunning example of a custom 36.
I once put a 47 mercury steering column box in a 35 Ford. I had to shorten the column and weld a verticle plate on the frame rails to hold the box. Worked fine bu didn't add a penny to the value of the vehicle. My satisfaction was only that it steered much easier. Keeping the steering box away from the clutch pedal was a engineering task that i had to have help with.
Would I do it again? Probably not. once it's not a 35 Ford anymore, none of the repair books or parts vendors, manuals or published guide are of any help.
Reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song about about the 1959, 63, 68,72 Cadillac convertible, which I think I saw once on the Red Green Show.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9875