Topic: 1933 Ford VIN

eagle68    -- 07-12-2016 @ 8:27 AM
  First time used to site. Considering a purchase of a 1933 Ford V8 Flathead Convertible. Trying to do some homework on VIN number and title to verify if it is correct. Has Colorado Title and lists the VIN as just 123,456. Does not show the 18- before the # as I have seen on web sites. Model is blank and the Body is CV on title. Does this sound correct for a 1933. Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

CharlieStephens    -- 07-12-2016 @ 10:35 AM
  If you mean to say the actual number is 123456 the engine/transmission were assembled in July 1932. It is a great coincidence that the numbers are sequential. Did you really mean to say something like 224XXX where XXX are numbers? If this is the case please update your post. I have read that some states omitted the "18-" as it only defined the engine type. I believe most states omit the stars before and after on their paperwork because it was only there to keep people from adding digits to the serial number. What does the number on top of the left frame rail near the steering box say? What does the number on the transmission say (probably not real important since most states will insist on using the frame number)? There are also two additional numbers on the top of the left frame rail under the body, as a last resort it may be necessary to lift the body to see these numbers. So far it sounds fishy, if it was me I wouldn't buy the car unless the seller can straighten the paper work out.

Charlie Stephens

silverchief    -- 07-12-2016 @ 12:58 PM
  I moved to Colorado seven years ago and had a nightmare getting my 46 registered in this state, after no previous problems in Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois. Colorado has very strict requirements if their is any question whatsoever about your cars identifying numbers. They include possibly having to get an appraisal, posting a bond, etc.

After several months I finally had to enlist he help of my state representative to cut through layers of bureaucratic garbage.

Take my advice and bring the title (or a copy) to the bureau of motor vehicles and ask in depth questions about any and all possible problems getting the car properly registered.

silverchief    -- 07-12-2016 @ 1:08 PM
  My car, like yours of course does not have a "Vin number." For that reason, and because
the number stamped on the frame was illegible - one of the many hoops I had to jump through was visit the Colorado State Patrol, where they riveted a plate with my "Assigned Identification Number" just below the door lock.

eagle68    -- 07-12-2016 @ 2:37 PM
  Thanks for the help. Being first time user, I may not have asked my inquires properly. The 33 roadster is at a Dealer/Broker in Colorado. They bought the car from someone in Tennessee and I have been sent a copy of a Colorado title. The VIN is 446103 (123456 was example). Model is blank and the type is CV. I wonder if this is a coupe that has been chopped etc. Also want to be reasonably sure that it is a correctly titled as a 1933. Thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 07-12-2016 @ 3:57 PM
  Serial number 446103 would have been assigned to an engine/transmission built in August 1933. I don't think you need to worry about the model being blank and the type being CV but you might make a call to your local DMV and ask. A couple of pictures should tell more about what it is. You might want to ask for a photo of the serial number on the frame. I have a couple of comments I would prefer to not post, any chance you could add your email to your profile or send it to me at the email in my profile? You should probably get a copy of the Clubs book that covers the 1933 Ford, https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=17&pid=2, so you know what to look for on this or future cars. Also you might want to take a person that is familiar with the 1933 Ford with you when you go looking.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-12-16 @ 4:14 PM

3w2    -- 07-12-2016 @ 7:07 PM
  How could you think that "CV" implies a possible coupe heritage? Nowhere in the word coupe does the letter "V" appear, but it does appear in the word "convertible". I'm sure someone in the Colorado state title office can tell you what "CV" stands for (and I doubt it stands for "converted")

roadster36    -- 07-12-2016 @ 10:17 PM
  My '39 convert sedan and one of my '40 convert's had "CV" on the title. My '34 roadster has RD on it but my '34 cabriolet has "CV" on it. DMV does some strange things but then again, I am in California where we have to pay a title service to deal with the DMV if we want it done right without huge hassles.
I would not worry about it.
-Dennis

eagle68    -- 07-13-2016 @ 9:11 AM
  Roadster36:

Thanks your clarification that helps. Windshield looks similar to cabriolet style now that you mention it.

trjford8    -- 07-14-2016 @ 7:08 AM
  eagle68, it sounds like you are new to the hobby. I would suggest you find someone knowledgeable in the car hobby and take that person with you to inspect the car. There is a big difference between a roadster and a cabriolet(convertible). The cabriolet has roll up windows and a "fixed" windshield. The roadster has no roll up windows and the windshield mounts on posts rather than be part of the body.
If the car is on a dealer's lot I would be especially careful. Some dealers know what they are selling and know old cars and others know very little. Arm yourself with all the education you can find before making a major purchase such as an old car. At the end off the day you do not want "buyers remorse".

This message was edited by trjford8 on 7-14-16 @ 7:08 AM

eagle68    -- 07-14-2016 @ 2:12 PM
  Trjford8

Thanks for response. You're correct about being new. Had an A over 20 years ago and have renewed my interest recently and have forgotten most of what I remembered from that time. Great suggestion and helpful tips.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9870