Topic: Overdrive for '34 Ford Roadster V8

MikeRhodes    -- 06-27-2016 @ 1:49 PM
  I've got a Borg-Warner overdrive cantilevered off the front of my differential. I think it's a hokey set-up and causes a hard bump/knock whenever I drive over even relatively minor bumps. I have a 3-speed with the last version of the original V8 (1953) engine.

==> Is there a better overdrive I can install? I'm looking at the Mitch*ll overdrive and it seems to be pretty clean and an easy install. However, it seems to be primarily for the Model A's -- though they do advertize a V8 version.

Anyone out there have suggestions or comments regarding the Mitch*ll Overdrive for the V8?

Mike Rhodes

40cpe    -- 06-28-2016 @ 6:50 AM
  Is the OD unit hitting the car floor on bumps? Many report having to cut a pocket in the floor even when using the Mitch*ll unit. I don't know if the clear on a '34 or not. If clearance is the problem, cut the floor now and save the trouble/expense of the change. The BW unit is the better unit, IMO, because of the electric shifting.

trjford8    -- 06-28-2016 @ 1:44 PM
  A club member in my regional group has a Mitch*ll in his 34 roadster and swears by it. He easily cruises at 65 mph. There's lots of them out there and I have never heard anything negative about them.

40cpe    -- 06-28-2016 @ 2:00 PM
  I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with the Mitch*ll. I just like the electric shifting of the BW. IF his noise is from a clearance issue, some have had it with the Mitch*ll, too.

MikeRhodes    -- 06-29-2016 @ 9:35 AM
  Thank you both for your views. Yes, the OD bangs against the floor. I'll look at it more carefully and see what space I might be able to create. I am aware that many like the Borg-Warner and Mitch*ll has a very good reputation as well. I think the most cost effective approach at this point is to cut-out some space in the floor....

I'll report back on this, though it will take a bit of time. I've got a dozen other projects in front of this.

MikeR

trjford8    -- 06-29-2016 @ 1:19 PM
  40cpe, I didn't feel that you were implying anything was wrong with the Mitch*ll. It looked to me that you just a had a preference for the BW.

40cpe    -- 06-29-2016 @ 1:40 PM
  Thanks! All's well.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9817